Hi guys new member here! Just set up my first reef tank and excited to learn more from these forums. Anyone around the LoHi Denver area? Would love to meet fellow reefers!

-Tyler

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Welcome! What size is your reef? We are geeks for the details that bore everyone else! Tell us about your lighting, livestock, equipment, corals, issues, etc. We love the gory details!

thanks for the tips guys! My current setup is as follows. Currently cycling the tank with dry rock so probably won't start to add livestock for about a month or so.

CAD Lights Artisan II 70 gallon tank and stand
Trigger Systems Ruby 30 Sump
Vertex Omega 150 Skimmer
ATI Dimmable Sunpower 36 inch 6 bulb fixture
Tunze Osmolator ATO
BRS Dual GFO and Carbon Reactor
Vortech MP40W-QD

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
:welcome: should start up a build thread ;)

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

Glad you found us and decide to join! Looks like you picked up some great stuff for your first tank, not sparing much :p Did you research all that stuff on your own and pick it or did someone locally here point you int the direction of all that great equipment. No right or wrong answer I am mostly just curious and wanted to give kudos to the store and or you on the great suggestions.

CRW Reef;359155 said:

Glad you found us and decide to join! Looks like you picked up some great stuff for your first tank, not sparing much :p Did you research all that stuff on your own and pick it or did someone locally here point you int the direction of all that great equipment. No right or wrong answer I am mostly just curious and wanted to give kudos to the store and or you on the great suggestions.
Thanks! I have been researching for the last year so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for equipment wise. Forums like this are a great resource when selecting equipment, etc. I will start a build thread soon as well!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheRealChrisBrown;359152 said:
We are geeks for the details that bore everyone else!...We love the gory details!
Lol...too true Chris.

Welcome to the club Tyler!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! My tank has been running for a couple days now. Quick question - Should I start getting the cycle started with a piece of raw shrimp to get my ammonia levels up? I used the real reef dry rock so I don't really have to cure my rock as there won't be any die off, etc.

Should I think about adding a piece of established live rock from a LFS while my tank is cycling?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Patience will definately be a virtue with this approach, but this is what I would recommend to make sure you hit the ground running. Maintain at least 10% weekly water changes from now until the end of time. What I would recommend is to toss a small amount of fish food (like a single pellet) into the tank each day as your ammonia source rather than the shrimp and also add a bottle of bacteria (dr tims is good stuff) to seed the tank. Do that for at least one week or until ammonia and nitrites and reading zero consistently. I would also add a cupful of mature sand from a fellow reefers tank (refugium sand is the best for this if they will let you take a cup) to help seed your worm and microfauna population. Then pick up a bottle of copepods and add some cheato to your sump. Now start feeding small amounts of phytoplankton to give the copepods some nutrients to grow in population (0.5-1ml per 10 gallons is a good point). Continue this feeding until fish are introduced. One week after adding the copepods, get a small cleanup crew started (get 1 trochus and 3 cerith snails per 20 gallons of water, you can also get some hermits if you like them, but don't do more than 2 per 50 gallons or they will eat snails instead of algae). After 2 weeks of a cleanup crew, add your first fish (get you least agressive/territorial fish first) and a cleaner shrimp. Then work your way up, very slowly, to a fully stocked reef tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
zombie;359233 said:
Patience will definately be a virtue with this approach, but this is what I would recommend to make sure you hit the ground running. Maintain at least 10% weekly water changes from now until the end of time. What I would recommend is to toss a small amount of fish food (like a single pellet) into the tank each day as your ammonia source rather than the shrimp and also add a bottle of bacteria (dr tims is good stuff) to seed the tank. Do that for at least one week or until ammonia and nitrites and reading zero consistently. I would also add a cupful of mature sand from a fellow reefers tank (refugium sand is the best for this if they will let you take a cup) to help seed your worm and microfauna population. Then pick up a bottle of copepods and add some cheato to your sump. Now start feeding small amounts of phytoplankton to give the copepods some nutrients to grow in population (0.5-1ml per 10 gallons is a good point). Continue this feeding until fish are introduced. One week after adding the copepods, get a small cleanup crew started (get 1 trochus and 3 cerith snails per 20 gallons of water, you can also get some hermits if you like them, but don't do more than 2 per 50 gallons or they will eat snails instead of algae). After 2 weeks of a cleanup crew, add your first fish (get you least agressive/territorial fish first) and a cleaner shrimp. Then work your way up, very slowly, to a fully stocked reef tank.
Thanks for the tips! I don't have a fuge so probably won't get cheato but will try the other tips you mentioned. I plan on running the tank for at least a month before adding any fish.

L

LoreenBowe

Dragon City Cheats Tool 2015 For Android iOS - Free Download been search of some cheats witch can generate for you limitless Gems in new Dragon City game then you definitely got in right place as a result of we just released a awesome software eGemsly for hacking and adding free items in the your game account. This superb cheat app works great with all Android and iOS tablets and phones also don’t require root or jailbreak so you possibly can run the software program with none problems Directly on your smartphones or anything witch have Android or iOS systems! Also we don't password protect our hack apps!Dragon City Hack Tool Android Free
Our Dragon City hack easy provides all the hacked Gems or other items to your game, help you stay on prime of your game and reach high scores. Dragon City hack apps make the game even more easy and bring more fun. >>>>>>Â*Download Dragon City Free GeneratorÂ*Â*

Last edited: