New to MASC!

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
Hello everyone. I am new to MASC, but certainly not new to reefing. I have been keeping saltwater tanks for nearly 10 years. Like any aquarist I have made mistakes, but have learned from everyone of them. Many of my mistakes were made before forums like this were in existence, though I continue to make them from time to time.

I am not one to always do things the way most people say they should be done. I don't dose my tanks with anything. I feel that if properly stocked and maintained, there is little to no need for supplements. I perform weekly water changes on all of my tanks, using RO/DI water.

I currently have three tanks. One is a 34g Current Solana mixed reef. One thing that I have learned along the way is that it is worth every penny to purchase quality equipment from the start. If you don't you will pay for it later. My Solana is, of course, an AIO system. I am using the stock pump, and skimmer, a 400 watt 20k MH, 1/10th HP chiller, 10g ATO tank, and custom built stand.

My second tank is a 3g JBJ Picotope. This tank is completely customised. I drilled this tank, made a sump/fuge from a 2.5g AGA tank, custom DIY ATO also with 2.5g tank, custom DIY LED fixture with 12 Cree CW and 12 Cree RB, and custom stand. This tank has been set up as a pico reef and has been running for about 6 months.

The last tank is also a 3g JBJ Picotope. It is very similar to the other pico, but fewer things are completely custom. This also has the 2.5g sump/fuge, and DIY ATO. I did not make a custom stand for it and did not make the light completely from scratch, though it is a DIY LED fixture. Unlike the other pico this one has only 12 LED's, 6 CW and 6 RB. The stand is actually for an 8g biocube. You can see a build thread for it by clicking the link in my signature.

I hope to be able to be a part of the community here and enjoy years of interaction learning and teaching more about this hobby.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
welcome ...i want a solana thread ..thats what i have

edit: ...WOW 400w on the solana ..and i thought 250 was to much ...thats crazy ...how does it work for you

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
dv3;100331 said:
welcome ...i want a solana thread ..thats what i have

edit: ...WOW 400w on the solana ..and i thought 250 was to much ...thats crazy ...how does it work for you
I works well. I must admit however that I have a dimmable ballast for it and do not run it at full power. I would guess that it runs at somewhere around 325 watts. If I turn it all the way down it runs at 260 watts.