New to me 65 in my house!!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Not really a build so much as a move and rebuild. So far all of my salt tanks have been at school this one was at school in the deans office but he never had time for it so he told me to take it back! The only downside is that it is in my sons room since the wife didn't want it in the living/dining room. It is a standard 65 with a glass holes overflow. I need a new skimmer since all it currently has is an old Red Sea Berlin HOB in the sump. It has a 4 bulb T-5 HO light. I need to replace the bulbs since I am not even sure how old they are. I have 2 black ocellaris clowns currently in a 10 gallon until the water clears. I added new sand in the tank and sump. I think they should be good to go tomorrow.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Thanks guys! There won't be a theme. I already have a pair of black ocellaris clowns in there. No need to pee since it was an established tank. I will be getting some peppermints to take care of the aiptasia problem I inherited. It's really about what the kid wants and I'll just sit back and enjoy having a tank at home.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Dr.DiSilicate;674032 said:
Up next... The 120?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Love to get on that but I need to have a new sub panel installed for that and the basement and it's not in the list of priorities.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
MuralReef;674050 said:
Love to get on that but I need to have a new sub panel installed for that and the basement and it's not in the list of priorities.
I know how that feels for sure!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Update: Got a rainbow nem a while back from Nemesis and decided to add some corals from last weeks DBTC. Got some great stuff and a huge purple digi today from BDK1786. Also got a great piece of ORA Blue Voodoo from Bryan. Things are looking up. I did have an issue with my skimmer today when I noticed it was going crazy. A chunk of goo had fallen off of the side of the neck into the skimmer and overflowed the cup back into the tank. No worries though I did a water change and cleaned the skimmer and all is well.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So I am thinking of adding little fish. I would like a variety of smaller ones. I have no idea what to add. What do you guys think?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I have been thinking about a blue spotted jawfish and a hawkfish. I know they are simple but I like the long nosed hawkfish. I also like the geometric hawkfish. I am also thinking about some blennies and gobies. Not sure on the firefish and cardinals. I do like the smaller blue cardinals.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I would honestly recommend against the blue spot. They dont generally do well in most reef tanks as they actually need lower temps to be kept long term. They can do alright at higher temps but generally only last about a year or so as a result. Pearlys on the other hand do well in groups, dont mind higher temps and are generally more out in the open compared to other jawfish.
If you really want to keep a bluespot long term you should aim to keep the tank around 72

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Just did some maintenance on the tank and I added the new Orphek Ocean. I am running the acclimation program. Considering its size this thing definitely throws some light!

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app