1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Newbie Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Roxborough Reefer, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Hello Everyone,
    As with any addiction, the therapeutic repair, is first to admit that I have a problem... I am a newbie and I want to start a saltwater reef aquarium. As with most people dealing with this issue, I need more money, time and space to get a fix to this disease. Second, I have joined this group to learn from you. Third, from what I have read so far, this group is awesome. Thank you in advance for tolerating my questions as they arise.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MASC mobile app

SkyShark and Dr.DiSilicate like this.
  2. kchristensen8064

kchristensen8064 Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

Welcome to the addiction! This is an awesome group of people!

3. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

Welcome aboard! We are good with questions no matter how small. It’s better to ask than to make a major mistake because you were afraid to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

Archit likes this.
  4. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Welcome to the club! Let us know if we can help!

5. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Welcome to the club and the true addiction. Sorry to report that there is no known cure, but can't say I'd want one even if there was one lol
    Great group and always ready to help with any questions or otherwise.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MASC mobile app

NickP likes this.
  6. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Welcome! I’ve met some of my best friends here! Awesome place to find answers and great people.

7. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

The only cure is to get a larger tank! Lol

Archit, halmus and NickP like this.
  8. Thank you for the warm welcome and support.

9. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Welcome! What size tank are you thinking about? Full reef?

10. I bought a used 90 gal. Reef-ready glass tank with an internal over-flow single drain and return. It came with DIY sump with partitions for a skimmer, refugium, and return. I don't have other key elements, such as lights, heater and return pump. My goal is a full reef. A month ago, I walked into Neptune's and now I have visited Elite Reef and Aquamart and my obsession and addiction began.

11. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Slow and steady wins the race. Just remember nothing good happens fast in this hobby unless your running halides brahaha.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

12. Off The Deep End

Off The Deep End Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

13. neil82

neil82 Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

Welcome! Glad to see a new face. Feel free to create a build thread as you start putting your tank together.

14. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Sounds like a great start. Check out Aquatic Art some time, you will really be blown away there.

15. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Ya +1 to Aquatic Art. That place will blow your mind

16. halmus

halmus Prawn Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Secretary

Welcome! Taking a look through all of the different stores is a great way to get started discovering what kind of coral/fish you want to build the system around.

Another good resource is the Bulk Reef Supply YouTube series “52 weeks of reefing” if you like watching videos.

And of course, feel free to ask questions.

neil82 and Dr.DiSilicate like this.
  17. Thank you for your input. There is a lot of information to absorb.

18. Dr.DiSilicate

Welcome! And this is solid advice.

19. neil82

neil82 Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

Have you considered using Herbie style drain pipes instead of single drain and return? I know you haven't asked for suggestions on this subject, but I thought I would bring this up before you get too far along with your build. The main advantage would be having an emergency drain pipe in the event your primary drain gets clogged. A secondary benefit is that it is quieter. Here is is link with some good info:

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

20. Thank you for your comments. Both timely and preventative from having a noisy water
    overflow into my sump. I read all of the Q&A, which was very beneficial. Now I need to figure out how to remove the piping to make the necessary modifications. Where do I find a strainer that was discussed in the article? I was planning on going to WinnNelson or Ferguson to get the plumbing parts/fittings.