Non-photosynthetic

Salty1

Cleaner Shrimp
Wondering if there is a sub-category for non-photosynthetic corals. Just picked up a beautiful orange carnation tree coral and was hoping that some of you have some advice in what to do/not to do/works for you in successfully keeping these animals.

Salty1

Cleaner Shrimp
Picked it up at Stone Aquatics they are having a big sale on fish/coral. I'd post a pic but haven't ever been able to upload any.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
There is the obvious answer, target feed it! I know with my orange sunburst cup coral I had issues with fish stealing brine shrimp from it, so I made a feeding dome out of the top of a 2 liter bottle. I'm guessing this would work for this coral too, but maybe with smaller food maybe not necessary?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
NPS corals need a quite a bit of target feeding phyto plankton mostly

From Live Aquaria
It is extremely difficult to maintain in the reef aquarium, and should be housed in an established reef aquarium, by the more advanced marine aquarist. It requires low lighting combined with medium to strong water movement. It is necessary to have a constant current with an abundance of algal plankton. For continued good health, it will also require the addition of strontium, iodine, and other trace elements to the water.
It does not contain the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae. Therefore, its diet should include live, baby brine shrimp, micro-plankton, and other small foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates, in order to survive in the reef aquarium. These foods must be available almost constantly. Again, only expert aquarists should attempt to keep this coral.