Numbers off

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I can't figure out what's going on in my tank. What started to alarm me was that many of my zoas are not opening. I have also noticed the pH has been alarming low at night around 7.6. I run a calcium reactor so I haven't been adding supplements. Here are the numbers
Temp. 76
pH 7.6 at night to 7.9 during the day
Dkh 6 usually 8
Calcium 420
Magnesium 1200
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0.05

I added mag today thinking that the low mag is leading to my other low numbers but I'm not sure. Should I up the flow on calcium reactor? Any advice would be appreciated.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Mike I'm the last one to advise you on calcium reactors but could the ZOA issue be fish who is starting to take a liking to Zoas you think?

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks for pests.. Also, mine were unhappy when my dosing pump died for a week, unknown to me, my alk dropped from 8.4 down to low 5's.

Finally, make sure they are getting enough nutrients, mine were closed for 2 weeks when I stopped feeding my tank.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
as for the ph problem, you could do a CO2 scrubber on the air intake of your skimmer. I have soda lime if you need some.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
CRW Reef;341749 said:
Mike I'm the last one to advise you on calcium reactors but could the ZOA issue be fish who is starting to take a liking to Zoas you think?
I haven't noticed any fish munching on the zoas but I'll keep an eye on them.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
What I'm most worried about is my Alk and low pH. But it could be a CO2 issue as Seth suggested as I recently notice that my air intake silencer is really clogged so I removed it and some of the zoas have been looking better.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Check for restrictions in all the tubing for your calcium reactor. I had some algae slowing the flow in mine. You could drip some kalkwasser in the evening to help with the ph and alk issue in the short term.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
99.9% of low PH issues is high amounts of CO2 in the ambient air. Is the air quality in your room not good? Open some windows for a while - these 60 degree days are awesome for that.

Get the alk up with some baking soda. I like a NSW alk system for my SPS, but 6 is pretty low. I keep zoas in my tanks and I need to keep it above 7 or else they get mad.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Hmm your numbers look exactly like mine are right now, although everything in my tank has been looking awesome. So I would be looking for pests or rogue fish picking at the polyps.
I too also have pretty low ph level, almost exactly like yours even though I run the fuge on reverse cycle and I constantly open the cabinet and the windows next to it to try and bring in more o2 but never the less, unless I buffer my ph I don't get above 8 on most days and generally hovers around 7.9 during the day and 7.6 at night.
I tested my tank this weekend just to see where numbers were at since I hadnt done it in quite a while and also found my alk was at about 6.7. Oddly enough everything looked great even with that low alk and when I tried to adjust it, with baking soda, upward again some of the lps started to look a tad annoyed. I think though that the tank has been fairly stable, even if the numbers are a bit off and messing with it only seems to aggravate things, so I am rethinking my top off additives, but otherwise going to mostly leave it alone and see what it does.
Beginning to think its just my tank personality

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster