Obviously I need a mentor

FlyrodTodd

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looking for a mentor in Longmont area that has been successful with SPS....

....8 years ago tried sps and couldn't do it....got back into it in January...built what I thought was the right system...and still can't get sps to grow... noticed them starting to look unhappy a couple of weeks ago....been downhill since then.

At one point in time they were rocking and rolling....growing, new branches, good polyp extensions....and think I'm losing them all now. The chalices and polyps are doing great...see pics.

- water change 10% every week

specific gravity - 1.025
Temp - 77.9 - 80
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
Calcium - 400
Mag - 1400
ph - 8.39
Alk - 10.5

Before/After shots

View attachment 21393 View attachment 21394

View attachment 21387 View attachment 21388 mummy chalice

View attachment 21389 View attachment 21390 miami chalice

View attachment 21391 View attachment 21392 brain

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can come by if you want. I am by Ute Creek Golf Course. My tanks are pretty simple and lots of people think that I am behind the times, but I can show you what I do.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My philosophy is pretty simple and you see it in most successful SPS tanks. ...water volume (75G or bigger is better for stability), real live rock from the ocean, 2-3 inches of sand, huge skimmer, calcium reactor, NSW parameters and metal halide. That is it. No biopellet reactors, GFO or organic carbon dosing. The tank comes to equilibrium on it's own with N and P where enough is around to feed the coral, but always tests out at "clear" on a Salifert test kit - actual numbers are probably .02N and .0075P. I do use SUPER reliable Ranco or Medusa controllers on heaters for the dual control and they are more reliable than a hobby grade controller probe... but these are not necessary.