Offering Hands On DIY Acrylic Class

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey All -

I was wanting to build a new frag tank, but the best way to do it is to get full sheets cut by Plasticare Inc. here in Denver. Well, I don't need a full sheet, so I figured why not offer up a free hands-on class for people that want to build something for themselves.

Here's how I see it working. Everyone pays for the acrylic that they are going to use - I estimate around $10 / square foot. Add on a $10 - $15 "fee" for supplies (applicator bottles, Weld-on, etc.) that you get to keep afterwards to use on future projects.

Then, participants send me your project dimensions or materials list. For more complicated designs, you should have the baffles, holes, etc well thought out ahead of time. If you need help planning out something, let me know.

We all meet at my house for construction. I have all of the tools that we need to finish the project including routers, table saws, etc. I can either do the tooling for you, or you can try your hand at it.

I estimate that it will take between 2 - 4 hours from start to finish.

What you will learn:

Project planning and sizing your acrylic pieces
Acrylic assemble steps
Creating "teeth" for weirs and refugium baffles
"Gluing" the acrylic using the pin method
Using a router to finish the project

Here are some project ideas:

Small Rimless Display Tanks (not sure I want to mess around with Euro Bracing for a class, lol)
Sumps
Frag Tanks
Skimmer Stands
Overflows

And the list goes on.

I think we could handle 3 - 4 concurrent projects or whatever gets us closest to using full sheets.

If anyone is interested, please post here and we will see if there are enough people to move forward. My plan is to have this class within then next 3 - 4 weeks on a Saturday or Sunday. If it is successful, we can do another in the future.

Shawn

whyamisofly

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sounds awesome Shawn! I don't have anything that needs to be built, but should be very rewarding for anyone attending.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm definitely interested only thing is it would have to be during one of my days off. I work 7 days off and 7 days on. Wed-thurs so as long as it isn't a weekend I'm working I'm game!

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
JuanGutz;348798 said:
Start with tank and then build the rest from what you show me?
Sure thing - and it would be best to get all of your materials cut up front. I would start with the sump and frag tank and then move to the DT, though. That way you get a chance to work on the skills used for the adhesive and get that bubble free edge. But either way works...

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
szavoda;348800 said:
Sure thing - and it would be best to get all of your materials cut up front. I would start with the sump and frag tank and then move to the DT, though. That way you get a chance to work on the skills used for the adhesive and get that bubble free edge. But either way works...
No that sounds like the Better plan for sure. Just let me know what weekend your planning so I know if I can make it or not. Then I'll start planning the dimensions and get you your payment.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have some traveling due up soon, so as soon as I get that date slated I will post a tentative weekend. Do you have some ballpark sizes for the main tank? Just want to ensure that 1/2" thick is enough.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
szavoda;348804 said:
I have some traveling due up soon, so as soon as I get that date slated I will post a tentative weekend. Do you have some ballpark sizes for the main tank? Just want to ensure that 1/2" thick is enough.
Thinking 24Lx24wx18H for the main tank. The 9-10 & 23-24 are the weekends I work in May. If you have to do it during one of those no problem. Hopefully wait for another one.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Plasticare also has a scrap bin area. Unless they've moved it, you turn right as soon as you walk in the door, and go all the way to the end of that aisle. Lots of different colors, sizes, etc. It's sold by weight, and usually really cheap. I used to get pieces from there and make flower pots and stuff. It'd be a good idea for folks to get some scrap pieces to play with before doing the main project. The staff there is also really good about giving you advice on technical details like bracing and reinforcing, the differences between the solvents and glues, etc.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;348806 said:
Plasticare also has a scrap bin area. Unless they've moved it, you turn right as soon as you walk in the door, and go all the way to the end of that aisle. Lots of different colors, sizes, etc. It's sold by weight, and usually really cheap. I used to get pieces from there and make flower pots and stuff. It'd be a good idea for folks to get some scrap pieces to play with before doing the main project. The staff there is also really good about giving you advice on technical details like bracing and reinforcing, the differences between the solvents and glues, etc.
Yea - I have a bunch of scraps that I was going to use as well as anything left from the sheet cut up.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
BrianH;348809 said:
Im in, I would like to build a 48 x 48 x 12 frag tank.
Without any bracing, you will want to do 3/4" here to avoid bowing. I will see what the 3/4" pricing is and get a per sq. ft for that as well.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
JuanGutz;348805 said:
Thinking 24Lx24wx18H for the main tank. The 9-10 & 23-24 are the weekends I work in May. If you have to do it during one of those no problem. Hopefully wait for another one.
I am waiting for some consensus from the Acrylic expert on ReefCentral, but this is probably going to be a 3/4" or 1" with no bracing.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
szavoda;348818 said:
Without any bracing, you will want to do 3/4" here to avoid bowing. I will see what the 3/4" pricing is and get a per sq. ft for that as well.
As a side not, we can still do the bottom out of 1/2" though

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
szavoda;348819 said:
I am waiting for some consensus from the Acrylic expert on ReefCentral, but this is probably going to be a 3/4" or 1" with no bracing.
we did a 4' long shallow peninsula tank, and it's gonna bow pretty much no matter what if you don't brace it. I think it would make a lot of sense to do the bracing in the middle (at 9"), and set the frag racks on it. Multifunctional that way, and the bracing doesn't block the view of the corals. Just my opinion, tho.

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
szavoda;348818 said:
With the new skills I will have, I can eurobrace it after I take the tank home. Would 1/2 inch be ok then?

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
BrianH;348844 said:
With the new skills I will have, I can eurobrace it after I take the tank home. Would 1/2 inch be ok then?
Yes - 1/2" Euro would be good. I would be tempted to make it out of 3/4" and then see how much it bows on you. I ran the numbers (using 10 inches as a water height) through the thickness calculator (http://diyfishkeepers.com/AcrylicThicknessCalculator.htm) and from a PSI / water pressure point of view it would be OK. It actually says it would be OK at 1/2". Bowing is more of an issue for what the tank will look like when viewed.

I have to admit that thickness calculation is not my strong point and like most things in this hobby people tend to over build in this area. You can always add support to the 3/4" design if you are not happy with it. And again, 3/4" is only for the sides, which is the smallest footprint of the tank...

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just checked on 3/4" pricing for those interested or in need of it, and it will cost about $15 / sq foot. I am going to PM those that have expressed interest so I can start a cut list.