Oh no, another Noob!

Hola MASC!

I am just now getting back into the hobby after a 25+ year hiatus. The last tank I had came from the era of under gravel filtration, air stones, and heavy chemicals in the tank. An external filter layered with floss and carbon was considered cutting edge technology! My studies over the last few months have shown me that much has changed!

After some consideration, I decided it was time to jump back into the hobby. I elected to start small with a nano reef for now.

This is my current set-up:
  • 24 gallon JBJ nano cube - topless
  • Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue LED
  • Tunze 6015 (476 GPH) circulation pump
  • CHAMBER 1- In Tank media basket with Filter floss (top), Boyd’s Chemipure Elite (center), and Seachem Purigen 100 mg (bottom)
  • CHAMBER 2 – Aqueon 100w Heater, Oceanic Nano Protein Skimmer (yes, I understand this is to protein skimmers what Radio Shack is to computers; I plan this to be my first upgrade), Eshopps foam sponge.
  • CHAMBER 3 – 266 GPH return pump

I just fired up/filled up Sunday night with 22 lbs. of dry rock (I want to start clean), a 20 lb. bag of CaribSea Fiji Live Sand, and 25 gallons of Red Sea reef premix from the good folks at Stone Aquatics. I added the bio packet from the bag of CaribSea as well as a bottle of Instant Ocean Bio Spira. The waiting game has begun.

OK, what have I already done wrong? :) I am looking forward to guidance and advice from this forum; thank you in advance!

Trevor

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Reasonable start for such a long hiatus. One thing I did notice is a lack off heating. I would get a 50-100W set a degree or so lower as a redundant backup in case the one you have fails or house temp ever gets in the 60s.

The #1 thing on your to-do list needs to be an auto top off system and RODI unit.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;361320 said:
Chamber 2 zombie... Plus 1 on ato... It is a life saver and makes tank so much more stable
I saw the 100 he's got in there. Open top 25 gallon needs 125 W to raise temp 10 degrees and who knows when the 100 W might ever fail open.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome!

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I could be wrong but it sounds like you added bacteria but no source of ammonia... Drop a shrimp in there (or pee in it, lol) and get it going... but for Pete's sake please don't live cycle with live fish!

Last edited by a moderator:

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReeferMatt;361349 said:
I could be wrong but it sounds like you added bacteria but no source of ammonia... Drop a shrimp in there (or pee in it, lol) and get it going... but for Pete's sake please don't live cycle with live fish!
Agreed, however, I prefer this approach. 20% weekly water changes throughout.

1. 2-4 weeks (until ammonia and nitrites are zero) just cooking the rock

2. Add a couple snails and bottle of copepods. Run 4 weeks feeding 1 or 2 pellets a day and a couple drops of phyto.

3. Start adding fish one at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
:welcome: back!!! Once a reefer always a reefer!

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome. Looks like you have a great start. If you get a chance come down to Aquatic Art on Fridays or Saturdays and take a look around. We always have some great deals.

Thanks Zombie! It is on the list for future consideration. I noticed that I have already had evaporation since the initial fill-up on Sunday. Topped off with ROI this evening.

One consideration is that my spouse required A TON of convincing before I started this venture, particularly when I picked in the living room for location. Connections will need to be hidden and no way will reservoirs be allowed to sit on the floor...the newly resurfaced hardwood floor. :) I do understand that without an ATO, I will have to do a ton of baby-sitting, but I am OK with that for now. Happy wife = happy life.

Good to know as well. Water temp after afternoon fill was at 75. I set heater at 78 and temp was at 78.2 by bedtime. HOWEVER, I do recognize that it's still warm weather and we keep the windows open this time of year, so environment came into play. No doubt that I will need a heater with more umph once winter comes. Thanks!

Haddonisreef;361331 said:
Nice start what are u going to keep!? Lps sps nems? Sky's the limit! Welcome!!
Definitely want to go corals; starting with SPS and see where it goes from there. A few small fish as well; I would like to strike a balance.

Thanks for the welcome!

ReeferMatt;361349 said:
I was going to start with first livestock this weekend. I was thinking one Ocellaris, but you say shrimp; recommendation? Thanks.