Oh no, another Noob!

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Shredder;361434 said:
I was going to start with first livestock this weekend. I was thinking one Ocellaris, but you say shrimp; recommendation? Thanks.
He was referring to a frozen shrimp as an ammonia source. It's best practice to precycle the tank for about 2 months before livestock is added.

zombie;361352 said:
Agreed, however, I prefer this approach. 20% weekly water changes throughout.

1. 2-4 weeks (until ammonia and nitrites are zero) just cooking the rock

2. Add a couple snails and bottle of copepods. Run 4 weeks feeding 1 or 2 pellets a day and a couple drops of phyto.

3. Start adding fish one at a time.
Sounds good. I was planning to do my first tests at the end of the week to see where I am sitting.

While I am familiar with them, I have never used copepods or phytoplankton. I know Algae Barn has both and I like the idea of using a local company. Dosing recommendation for each?

Thanks!

dvenson;361423 said:
Welcome. Looks like you have a great start. If you get a chance come down to Aquatic Art on Fridays or Saturdays and take a look around. We always have some great deals.
Thanks! I live in Central Denver, but my monster-in-law is in Highlands Ranch and it seems we come down every other weekend or so. Looking forward to it.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They will reproduce on their own, you just need to seed the tank and occasionally replenish to ensure species diversity. I add a bottle of copepods at the start of a tank and then add another bottle every 6 months or so. Phyto is good to get the population booming, but won't need to be dosed at a regular interval after the tank matures (about 3-6 month mark).

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I mean a whole shrimp from the grocery store. You should really cycle the tank before adding any livestock.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReeferMatt;361442 said:
I mean a whole shrimp from the grocery store. You should really cycle the tank before adding any livestock.
I like using bactiv for a bacteria supplement and the use sinking pellets or some fish food for ammonia. That's me though. Also, can't go wrong with algae barn, I used them on my latest build for my 60 and its worked well.
Pictures?