OK, Stupid Question Regarding Water

So I have made it a habit to seek expertise from not only the MASC forum, but local stores when it comes to questions about my new nano reef. I will keep the names of the local stores out of this discussion in order to gain consensus from the MASC forum and protect our local stores.

Back when I was in the fill stage of my 24 gallon tank, I spoke to two local stores about purchasing my pre-mix. I asked the same question of both: I am going to buy 25 gallons, but I will probably only end up using 20 gallons or so to start up my aquarium (due to rock, sand, and sump). The final five gallons, I will hold on to for my first water change.

Response from store A: "You don't want to do that. You want to use the 20 gallons or so for your fill up, but then come back an see us for the salt water needed for the re-fill; that water will 'de-stabilize' ".

Response from store B (after I repeated what I had heard from store A): "What? Salt water doesn't go bad unless you store for an extended amount of time; it's salt water! Just use a heater to get it up to temp and make sure that you stir it up using a pump or other mixing device before you use that final five gallons at your water change."

Thoughts? The water is not quite a month old and has been in a sealed 5 gallon (new and sealed) Home Depot bucket. Can I use this as described by store B or should I dump it and buy 5 gallons for pre-mix as suggested from store A? Are there BPH or other concerns with the water sitting in a bucket for 30 days!

Glad to be back in the hobby, but always amazed by the different opinions I receive. Thanks!

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Store B gave you the right advice. Saltwater can sit for MONTHS without any issue other than a little bit of evaporation that can be easily solved by adding a little extra RODI to it.

With that said, premix is a major waste of money. Mixing the saltwater yourself with good reef salt is a lot cheaper (especially if you invest in an RODI system and can make the top of and water change water yourself instead of buying it).

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I store and use water a month at a time with no issue. But I keeping it constantly agitated or mixing with a recirc pump all the time. The only thing I might suggest is if you store it for longer period is make sure you are using a clean vessel that's not been used for water changes that could be contaminated with bacteria.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Walter White;362881 said:
is make sure you are using a clean vessel that's not been used for water changes that could be contaminated with bacteria.
Even without that isn't a big deal. Bacteria needs a food source, so populations will stay small even in an open container. Plus a little extra diversity in a tanks bacteria population is usually a good thing (keeps the most efficient ones top of the food chain)

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree with what has already been said, but I would also like to note that there are many posts and threads about Aquavitro Salinity having this problem in particular. That said I have never had a problem with storing saltwater, just make sure it isn't being exposed to direct sunlight and I would recommend adding a heater and maybe a powerhead before using. Some people just shake it up and go but IMO proper aeration not only creates more available o2 in the water but also drives off co2 allowing pH to stabilize.

Last edited by a moderator:

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
OK, Stupid Question Regarding Water

Directions on some of the salts say to use within a few hours of mixing. When I was using Salinity, I would get some white precipitation on my pump and heater if I mixed it for a day or 2

rjl45

Clown Fish
I caution you regarding the use of the "Home Depot" bucket. Cheap plastics use a toxic release agent during the molding process. The toxins off-gas over time, and can off-gas into the water. Some people don't experience any problems because it is a relatively small amount. However, I did have trouble (before I knew better) and almost killed my corals. "Food Safe" containers use a release agent that is non-toxic. I bought some relatively cheep buckets on amazon for $7 each. I have a 24 gal nano and 5gal buckets are perfect for storing, re-mixing and heating my water for changes.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
rjl45;362975 said:
I caution you regarding the use of the "Home Depot" bucket. Cheap plastics use a toxic release agent during the molding process. The toxins off-gas over time, and can off-gas into the water. Some people don't experience any problems because it is a relatively small amount. However, I did have trouble (before I knew better) and almost killed my corals. "Food Safe" containers use a release agent that is non-toxic. I bought some relatively cheep buckets on amazon for $7 each. I have a 24 gal nano and 5gal buckets are perfect for storing, re-mixing and heating my water for changes.
The white ones don't have that problem (home depot and lowes sell food grade sealable ones), but you are correct about the orange or blue ones

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I mix 55g once per month and use it I've weeks - reef crystals. Never had a problem with letting it sit. A lot of stores mix large quantities and it sits for a while as well. Just check salinity and bring it to temp and you should be fine.