Online coral shop feedback needed!

crisc

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Hey MASC members,

As you may have heard we are going to fire up our online store in the next few weeks and I am soliciting feedback on some of things you all like to see from the online shops you have experience with. We hope to get some feedback and get launched here soon so anything helps! If you wouldn't mind taking a minute or two to answer a few questions that would be great!

1. How much is too much? When we look at online shops' pictures they are quite different in the approach of the photographer, or the editor. How much is too much saturation? We have been looking around the web and some online companies just saturate the picture so much it is almost laughable. Do you think this sells? I mean in your experience have you purchased a coral that looked killer online and when you received it the color wasn't even close? Do you still shop from them? Or do you build confidence in the company because their colors are "legit".

2. Do you like to see the coral on eggcrate so you can get a sense of the size despite the description? Is white or black eggcrate better? Of course it means a little different approach when taking the picture but do you have a preference?

3. Is a description with flow/lighting requirements necessary or just an added plus?

4. When placing a livestock order and you have room in the shipping box do you add on small items like food, glue, etc?

5. Is there anything from your experience that frustrates you? Not really bad deals but how sites are organized?

I'm sure I will think of more questions but we would appreciate your feedback! Thanks in advance!

Cris and Crew

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I might suggest that you list out the flow and lighting that you have them under. I like the way that ReefFarmers does it and says strong, moderate, indirect, etc. and the type and temperature of light.

I also like to see what places farm themselves, even if it is not available. This way, I can put in special requests from time to time or ask them to let me know when coral XXX is available. Of course, if you don't farm, then this won't be applicable.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
1. Makes me angry to the nth degree when online places over-saturate their photos. List the lighting conditions when photos are taken, and don't photoshop.

2. I like black, and prefer the egg crate to represent size.

3. Necessary.

4. Sure, why not.

5. Accurate names are ideal. A clean site is ideal. Aqua SD just came back online. I like their photos... http://livestock.aquasd.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=65

I also like the way PlanetZoa takes their pics: http://www.planetzoa.com/category_s/1843.htm?searching=Y&sort=11&cat=1843&show=16&page=2

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;266927 said:
1. Makes me angry to the nth degree when online places over-saturate their photos. List the lighting conditions when photos are taken, and don't photoshop.

2. I like black, and prefer the egg crate to represent size.

3. Necessary.

4. Sure, why not.

5. Accurate names are ideal. A clean site is ideal. Aqua SD just came back online. I like their photos... http://livestock.aquasd.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=65

I also like the way PlanetZoa takes their pics: http://www.planetzoa.com/category_s/1843.htm?searching=Y&sort=11&cat=1843&show=16&page=2
Same here on 1-3. The pics should only be photoshopped to match real appearance.

4. I grab something extra IF I need it and it's priced well.

5. I don't order online much, so there's nobody that stands out as awesome. I got burned on photoshopped pics too many times.

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Online sales work real well for me and my family. We are avid online shoppers usually for all the good deals. I find that its nice to not have to get the kids all ready to head somewhere that they just run around touching everything. Also what about doing a special almost like a coral of the month club where you offer a specific coral and have loads of backround info into where its found in nature and such almost like an educational type of thing but every month you could pick a new coral and give frags to all who would be interested. This is an idea I have for a fish store I want to set up when I retire from what ever it is that I'm doing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
1) +1 to Munch, dont over saturate or photoshop, like Cindy said... Photots should only be altered to match what the coral actually looks like... slightly.
2) Eggcrate i personally prefer, black or white... whichever the coral is on and happy with at the shop. Black background looks very clean and makes the coral pop but gives NO indication of size so unless a rubric or size comparison/chart next to the coral is provided i wouldnt suggest this one.
3) Flow/light requirements are IMO a plus but not necessary. If it can be provided, I would, so that way anyone and everyone knows a general idea of what each coral likes.
4) If i have room and the price is right, yes. but as an impulsive, not needed item, no i generally wouldn't.
5) Honestly unless i know a site isnt altered with the pictures, i tend to not purchase through the sites w/o knowing it's unphotoshopped. Nothings more frustrating like paying for an acro or a $40pp zoa and getting something browned out or the size of a push pin.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Having taken some photos of various corals under various lighting conditions, I find that it is nearly impossible to have the photo of the coral look like it does in person without photoshopping it. That being said, I feel it should only be photoshopped to look like it does in real life. The only problem I find with this method is it changes the color of the egg crate too. So even though the coral looks like it should, the crate looks out off whack which makes me think the coral will not look like that when I get it. In the photos I took earlier this week, I tried removing the egg crate and replacing it with a black background. I liked it a lot except it is impossible to tell the size of the coral and it makes it obviously photoshopped.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Please make sure you have a "pick up" option for your locals :D

I actually prefer to browse online before heading to a shop so I have frags in mind that i want to pick up. Also having a current fish stock would be nice too. I know that's easier said than done.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I also like the pick up option especially since your place is so far away.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I may be able to bring stuff up to Loveland on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Those are the two days I work there.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Ohh I like that too now they just need to get something in off my want list.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Send over the want list to Cris. He may have some of it already.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
OOHHH!!! And it should have specially discounted prices for MASC members. LOL

One thing I may regret revealing is that I am an absolute sucker for rewards programs.

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
CindyL;268235 said:
OOHHH!!! And it should have specially discounted prices for MASC members. LOL

One thing I may regret revealing is that I am an absolute sucker for rewards programs.
+1, definite sucker for deals and rewards programs!!