Our first saltwater tank

Hello,

My son (Dillon) wanted to setup a saltwater ecosystem for his senior project. Luckily I have a friend (Clayton) with an amazing saltwater tank setup that has graciously offered to help. He pointed us to MASC and he is a member here as well.

We are starting with a 45 gallon (4' x 18" x 12") glass tank with a full length stand and hood. It has the Current USA Orbit Marine LED Saltwater Reef 48" Lighting System. Equipment (sump, protein skimmer, pumps, heater, etc.) is currently on loan. We are setting up the tank with live sand and rock. Once things are looking good and stable we'll move on to fish, which Dillon would like to start with a Goby.

We are having a lot of fun. It is reminding me of scuba diving.

Doug and Dillon

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
:welcome: your in for a wild ride

Dillon is an awesome kid that I had the privilege to meet on Saturday! He's enthused to start up a tank so he could learn first hand how a full ecosystem could be recreated within a salt water tank setup. I was glad to help him get a start, but I'm sure he'll benefit from all the knowledge and help that I know the guys (and gals!) on this forum can provide! Welcome to hobby Dillon!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Welcome and welcome back Clayton! The First DBTC corals I got were from Clayton and they have been some of the hardiest I have. He will be a great mentor through this process. If Dillon needs any support let me know I teach science and my tank is at school.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Welcome!!!!!! Glad you joined us!!! You should plan to come to the DBTC meeting coming up in a few weeks, as we would love to have you. No need to have any corals just come have fun with us.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Excellent project choice! Welcome to MASC!

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome! I am new here too. My kids are sponges for learning about the tanks and the "circle of life". Makes for a whole new part of the hobby for me. Largest piece of this is keeping their patience contained! :)