Overflow box leaking.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got a new-to-me tank last week and did the water test in it today to see if it holds water. The overflow box leaks at the very bottom corner, not much but enough to warrant a reseal. Getting opinions, should I take out the old silicone and replace it or should I just gob a bunch into the leak? Thanks!

It takes more computing power to do 1 search of Google than it did to send Apollo 11 to the moon.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If the water level in the overflow box and the tank are the same then a leak into the overflow wouldn't matter because the overflow tubes would keep it from leaking all the tank water into the sump and onto the floor?

It takes more computing power to do 1 search of Google than it did to send Apollo 11 to the moon.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;645610 said:
New silicone will not attach to old silicone. You could scrape out just the inside of the overflow and reseal the whole thing. But. Honestly if this leaking I would definitely think to reseal the whole thing.
This is definitely older silicone than the rest as its gone brown around the box while the sides are still clear, it's pealing away on some of the panels but it looked to keep a tight seal there. Will water test again to be sure.

Balz3352 is probably right about the reseal of the aquarium in it's entirety. If the overflow silicone is rotten then the rest is probably the same age and not too far behind. I'd rather bite the bullet now and be happy for many years to come, rather than a possible catastrophe, or having to do a tank breakdown to do what could have been done now.
It sounds more intimidating and tedious than it really is to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk