1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

PAR METER - Rental Program

Discussion in 'Lighting and Equipment' started by CRW Reef, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Irishman

Irishman Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

That's pretty neat! Does any website state what each coral/species should be at?

2. Walter White

Walter White Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

If there is I dont think I would put much into it. I am no expert here but I do know that par meters will read very differently for LED than they do for T5, VHO, or MH and no two will read exactly the same.

IMO a par meter is great for taking a baseline reading if you are moving a coral from one location to another or from one tank to another. Ultimately most corals can be acclimated to a fairly large spectrum of PAR intensities. I only use par if I am buying a coral from someone with similar lighting to mine and want a base reading for where in my tank I should start acclimating from.

I would never trust any website to say x coral should be placed under y par value. Its very subjective and all hobby grade par meters are subject to margins of error of +/- 20% so this means that no too par meters are going to take the same reading.

3. zinovate

zinovate Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

Another use is to measure the health of the light itself over time.

4. Walter White

Walter White Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Yeah I can see that.

5. aquarius

aquarius Copepod

I agree that PAR meters aren't the final word and many such as the Apogee meter struggle with the blue spectrum which many of us run, I personally have found my PAR meter very useful in adjustment of my LED lighting. It has also been useful in knowing when to replace my MH and T5 bulbs. While not necessary with either MH or T5 I personally won't adjust or run LED's without one and for those that do I recommend they start off more conservative than what they believe necessary. JMHO

6. ValG

ValG Cuttle Fish Platinum Sponsor M.A.S.C Club Member

Is there still a waiting list on this PAR meter rental program? I'd like to be added to one. If no wait list I'd like to rent it within next couple of days. Thanks!!

7. BryanF

BryanF Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

I'd like to get on the list as well.

8. Octopi

Octopi Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Please add me to the list. Membership paid a couple weeks ago so should be badged shortly.

9. Octopi

Octopi Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Is the Par meter rental still a thing? Just looking to use once so buying one seems a bit much. If not thru the club, does any LFS rent them out? Happy to pay $20 to rent but not wanting to pay $250 to buy one.

10. JuanGutz

JuanGutz Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Thanks for finding this thread. I was wondering if the club was still doing this and I would like to get on the list if so. Trying to save up for one but bills keep popping up.

11. Kayvon

Kayvon Copepod

I am also trying to rent one. Does anyone know if this is still a thing?

12. Bl4ckDr4g0n

Bl4ckDr4g0n Registered Users

Also looking to rent this par meter myself...

13. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

I'm really surprised that nobody has replied. Last I saw CRWreef was the person that was running this thread. I have been mostly inactive for a while so I'm not sure who is on the board anymore.

If you look at the start of the thread, the list has not been updated for almost 2 years. It is definitely a lot of work to pass it around and meet up, you have to be patient.

Remember the board is just volunteers...nobody is getting paid. However i'd try messaging him directly....

14. CRW Reef

CRW Reef Orca Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Those whom are interested in renting the par meter please text me and we'll get everyone fixed up.

Chad 303.five06.0217

15. fiji4118

fiji4118 Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

Hey Chad what's the latest? I sent a text but haven't heard anything.

16. newtoreef

newtoreef Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

Is the par meter still getting rented out?

17. Bl4ckDr4g0n

Bl4ckDr4g0n Registered Users

He is hard to get ahold of, I caught him at reef ed with it on hand.

18. newtoreef

newtoreef Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

I can see that got a hold of him once and now nothing haha, no answers back

19. Ghxst

Ghxst Prawn

Is this program still a thing? I got a seneye for a b day gift and would like to compare, even if it's not in my tank. Lemme know! Thanks

20. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member