Peppermint Shrimp - What Ones Eat Apitasia

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have posted this a bunch of times, so I am just going to do it one more and then call it a day (or a life).

Ever wonder why some people have peppermints that eat apitasia as soon as they hit the tank, yet others have peppermints that won't eat apitasia and even sometime eat coral? It matters where they come from... there are at least 4 differnet kinds of peppermint shrimp in the gulf.

They are all Lysmata shrimp and are good scavengers, but break down like this:
  • Bogessi - From Keys and great Aiptasia Eaters... nearly 100%
  • Rafa - From Western Keys and great Aiptasia Eaters... nearly 100%
  • Ankeri - 50/50 on Aiptasia
  • Wurdemanni - 50/50 on Aiptasia and can eat coral in some rare circumstance (there are many sub classifications under this). These are very commonly available but also very commonly let people down
  • Rathbunae - Less than 50% on aiptasia and can eat coral in some rare circumstance (deeper water from areas without much coral)
  • Boggessi - 50/50/ on Aiptasia and can eat coral in some rare circumstance

If you need aiptasia control, then get the ones from the keys. If the supplier that you get them from are not sure, then they are probably Wudermanni since they are cheaper to collect and more prolific in the areas where they are collected from. There are MANY, MANY keys suppliers out there, so if you want a sure thing, then make sure that you order from them.

People might tell you that they got Peppermints from a store that said that they got them from the keys. If they don't eat aiptasia, then they probably did not and the chain of custody was either lost or misrepresented.

I can post this same thing about Mithrax (emerald) Crabs too, but the same thing applies... keys or nothing if you want them to eat tons of bubble and hair algae.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
now it's just a matter of getting the correct answer when you ask the question.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Could you suggest a supplier (sorry if you have already done this and I missed it) that always provides the good varieties?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I get my stuff from ReefTopia.com. They are not a sponsor here, or anything, so whack my post if it is not appropriate. I will only buy peppermints or emerald crabs from this place, or from a shop who will show me an invoice from another Keys-based wholesaler. It is just not worth it for me not to know. They are a wholesaler too, so any of the local shops can set up with them.