peppermint shrimp

Howdy Yall,
Im gauging interest in a peppermint shrimp group order. When the water gets a little warmer ill be able to go collect the shrimp from the jetties. Its real easy for me to spend an hour after sunset and collect roughly 100-150 shrimp. I have on occasion traded some LFS shrimp for frags, filled in my tank nicely. Im looking to help my brother fill in a little of his tank too. I can go collect how ever many yall want. If who ever wants some, can help pitch a few dollars to cover the exact over night shipping cost, (im guessing $30 or so to over night from Galveston to Denver) then can trade frags for generous portion of shrimp. For instance: if 5 people want 100 shrimp, $6 each for shipping plus some frags for 20 shrimp each. Im looking for help figuring out how many shrimp i can send at a time, i have no clue. I will be able to send females with eggs, not many, to donate to the DBTC but only to people with aged refugium that might actually have a chance to raise the larvae. I try to have no more than 5% of the total catch be females with eggs. I will not be sending the shrimp in sea water i will acclimate them over to artificial salt water. I will be the one catching and sending them but ill let my brother be primary for the money since he is a full MASC member.

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas?

Me:
http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?18920-Howdy-Yall
My brother:
http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?18430-My-First-Reef-40g

Re: peppermint shrimp

To ensure optimal survival, I would limit the shrimp to 2-4/bag. Use kordon breather bags with padding in the box and something to keep the temp constant. You shouldn't have an issue.

I would say more because ive kept a bunch in half full buckets, they have very low metabolic rates and i wont be feeding before shipping to. When we used to get our ghost shrimp shipments it would be a few gallons of water and hundreds of shrimp. I can do a test here i guess, bag up various amounts to make sure they will survive 24 hours before i do ship them.

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
so what are you looking at for cost wise? the cost of shipping for a bag of 100? or am i just insane and read that completely wrong. lol:stupid:

Yeah just group covers shipping cost then just trading a few frags, TBH i love collecting them, its fun experience. Like i said mainly doing it to help my brother fill in his tank. I dont have an x shrimp for x dollars, just kinda spread the wealth situation.

CRW Reef;243732 said:
Do you live in Colorado or Texas?
I live in La Marque, which is located just on the mainland from Galveston, Texas. My brother lives in West Minster. My first post has links to our introduction threads. He is a full MASC member i am not.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I'd like 10 too, but I can only offer cash. My colonies are all to small to frag yet.

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: peppermint shrimp

So I have a new tank no coral how much would my cost be for 10 and where would I pick them up

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Right now we have a MARSH collection trip scheduled for Saturday night around 8pm, but this is one of the first collection trips of the season. Theres a chance that we can get rained out or the water may still be to cold. Once i have the shrimp i will do take a few days to acclimate them over and to figure out how many i can ship at a time.