Phosphate how much is too much?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So the new 180 is cycling away and ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are at 0. My phosphates are high. I added GFO today and have already seen a drop. The snails in there are fine but I was thinking about adding some other CUC and a couple of tangs to get the hair algae. It's been cycling for a month but I've never had phosphates this high. They were 1.06 on Friday but today were .25 on a Hanna checker. I am going to check again tomorrow.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Not sure but I don't think the fish will mind. Seems to be going in the correct direction with the go. I'd wait another week just to make sure you have the bacteria to handle the fish.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
phosphates dont affect the livestock quite as badly as the others, as it is kind of an end point in that stage. It will however get absorbed by the rocks and substrates and will feed the next stage in the "full" cycle. Honestly I would just let the phosphates come down on their own. IMO if you let the rocks build up now, you will be better off in the end and the rock will be that much better at filtration.

Last edited by a moderator:

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Phosphates can be tricky to determine a good level IMO. I have seen awesome tanks that register 0 PO4 and others that looked equally amazing that measured .3+

It depends on what your wanting to keep in there for SPS .3 is usually best. Don't Aim for .0 as it is possible but is hard and may lead to dull colors if not done Right

Bdk1786

Butterfly Fish
.3 or .03? I have been struggling with my P04 for some time now and as of yesterday, it has been at .16 with Red Sea Pro kit. I have been slowly losing my 18+head frog spawn :(

Bdk1786;361738 said:
.3 or .03? I have been struggling with my P04 for some time now and as of yesterday, it has been at .16 with Red Sea Pro kit. I have been slowly losing my 18+head frog spawn :(
Sorry I meant .03 right around there. You could do more water changes/feed less. If those don't work then GFO

Bdk1786;361738 said:
You might won't to make your own thread so you don't highjack this thread

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Hijack away. I forgot it was here. I would run gfo are you sure it's the phosphates though. How are your other numbers?

Bdk1786

Butterfly Fish
Numbers current as of last night.

Salt: 1.025-1.026 (fine line on refract)
Alk: 9.8
Ca: 430
Mg: 1440
PO4:.10 (been dosing with NOPOX)
Ammonium:0
Nitrate: