Phosphate

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I tested today at .04. I know .00 is best, but what is acceptable? How can I get it down?

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
how big is your system? Sometimes that dictates what kind of response is best.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
How old is the tank? Do you have aragonite rock and/or sand?

.03 is typically fine, but will depend on the actual critters that you will wish to have.

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've got a 65 main tank and a 40 (really, probably around 30) 'fuge.
I'm presently keeping three fish with a desire to add two or three more, zoas, hammer, frogspawn, and a chalice. I'd like to keep SPS in the future.

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
The tank's been up around four years, but has fallen into disrepair and I'm getting it back into shape.
I aragonite sand and rock.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Check your source water to make sure that you're not introducing any phosphates with water changes. With you current livestock I would just do more frequent changes and slowly bring down the PO4 in your tank.

As long as you have adequate filtration, more regular maintenance should be all you need. Are you running a skimmer?

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am running the Vertex 170.
Good call with the source water. Considering I've got the other params at or near zero, at what point can I add SPS? .03? .02?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Go ahead with some SPS assuming that your NO3 near zero and calcium and alk are near reef levels. .04 is not too bad on the phosphate. I would not get too spendy, but there are plenty that you could roll with. If you let me know what kind of lights you are rolling, I can probably suggest some. The SPS will not be ask forgiving as the LPS, but some of them are pretty hardy.

Sounds like your sand bed is handling most of the phosphate, like it should. Have you ever vacuumed your sand? I might suggest that you thoroughly clean about 25% of your visible sand on your next water change. Then, like 10% each quarter after that. Then, keep this up to where you clean the sand about every 3-4 years.

You can also clean out your fuge of any additional debris. Sump too. Use a wet vac to get the junk out if you need to. This might be enough to get you down to .01 or .02 and maybe zero.

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
CA and Alk are back up, NO3 needs to come down.
For lights I've two AI LEDs. A couple MP-40s are handling the flow so I'm good there.
I've never cleaned the sand or the sump, thanks for the recs.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
How far down? Is it under 5? If it is much over, then you might consider waiting. Calcium will need to be pretty stable about 400-450. Alk will REALLY need to be stable around 7-12 - higher if you don't have a constant supply.

It is actually kinda good that the N and P are both up together. The growing bacteria that you create with unclogged sand can use both of them.

A few water changes would not hurt here either.

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
NO3 is at 5, so a little bit of work to do there.

I've got a Litermeter ready to dose CA and Alk so they both should be rock-solid when I'm ready for SPS.
I'm going to do two small changes a week and see where that gets me.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
you'll want to get some of those in your sump. They eat phosphates. Let them grow, and occasionally remove some (either give it away or toss it). Doing that will remove the phosphates from your system.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes. Macroalgae is a plant, and needs light. A cheap clip on worklight with a 6500k bulb in it does the trick. Run the sump light on the opposite schedule as your display tank lights, and it will help level out your pH.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
goslugsgo;271661 said:
Thanks. Do I need light down there?
For the macro yea. 12 hours, usually reverse your light cycle. You can use a spiral compact fluorescent.

For the record, that's a loaded question. Lol