Phosphates?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So I have been fighting this View attachment 20791 Cyano? since I've gotten back from break. I had been using a Hanna checker which had read phosphates as high as .23. I had gotten it down to .16 on the checker but had my doubts about the tests. I had checked API and it was near zero. I picked up a Lamotte kit and tested it twice today and again zero. My nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia are at zero. I went so far last week as to siphon it all out during a water change and it still came back.
Funny thing is the rocks are clear in the morning just after the lights come on and it grows like mad through out the day. My SPS look like crap and I have lost a few. Any advice?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Increase flow in the areas most affected

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I'll run another full panel tomorrow morning. Alk and calcium should be okay since the calcium reactor is now full on. Calcium was up to 420 yesterday when I checked so Alk should be on an upswing.

Reef bio fuel helps. Any clues on whats causing it. Over feeding? Top off water bad or water changes?You running a refugium or anything like that?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
What do you dose? It may be something your adding

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Stability, and the right mix of import and export. Nitrates will read zero or near it and phosphates as well because the algae is consuming it. If you have algae = high nutrients. Import less, ie feed a bit less. Or export more = biofuel, biopellets, sulfur reactor, GFO, lithium chloride, water changes, algae scrubber... etc etc etc.. pick you poison. Some address NO3 and PO4 together. Others just address one or the other.

Find your balance and it will go away. Cryo is something that pops up in everyone's reef from time to time, but can be managed. Good luck.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I reduced my nutrients for several weeks, increased skimming, siphoned the sand.... I could not stop the cycle! I used chemi-clean to knock the slime out and continued my lower feeding schedule and bigger water changes.

I also started dosing pradibio bio clean. I think I needed the added bacteria because I used dry rock for the majority of the build. I don't think I'll do it long term but 1/3 the recommended dosage is helping me.

With the algae and cyano in the tank it's difficult to get an accurate reading. Also, he test kits usually test for a specific type of phosphate (too technical for me to really understand, lol) so they are quite inaccurate.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I recently had some cyano appear in my tank as well, so I am doing 3 days of lights out and reduced feeding for the time being. I also altered flow a bit to increase flow in the areas it is appearing, mainly around the overflow. It hasn't shown up on my sand though because I have an engineer goby and jawfish that constantly turn over my sand making it very difficult for it to grow on the sand

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Do you dose Fuel? Or anything similiar?