Pickles the Parrot (Caique)

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wife was semi jelly of my 300g. Over the years took her from not liking animals much to always exploring new things. Used to hate birds, and yet now she is the one who warmed up to and brought home Miss Pickles. 7 months old female Caique.

Bad first pic, letting her settle, though she already seems to want let out more than anything.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
my kids all want a bird.....you fill me in on how it goes over the next year and i might cave...

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
I bought an umbrella cockatoo for my wife last year and I f'in hate it.

Loudest teradactyl sound 20 times a day, craps 10 times a day and cost 100 in "special food" a month. Horrible animals.

Good thing is that he is 12 years old. Only 68 years to go before he kicks the bucket.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeap, not trying to be judgey, just saying ya, a lot of people get one, be it cockatoo, pretty conure, Grey's, macaw not realizing the negatives. Surpised the cockatoo needs a special diet. Is he doing ok or is he picked naked?

Part of why i only wanted a smaller species and these are quieter than some. Has already proven super cute. When I turn the lights off was chattering to me and after talking back for a bit she crawled into her hammock before I put on the cover.

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
There's a super cool bird store around iliff and parker. We were thinking of getting one, but decided the 30-60 min daily holding minimum per family member was more of a commitment than we could make right now with all of our other animals.

Your bird is beautiful. What a fun pet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
Fitz19d;646283 said:
Yeap, not trying to be judgey, just saying ya, a lot of people get one, be it cockatoo, pretty conure, Grey's, macaw not realizing the negatives. Surpised the cockatoo needs a special diet. Is he doing ok or is he picked naked?

Part of why i only wanted a smaller species and these are quieter than some. Has already proven super cute. When I turn the lights off was chattering to me and after talking back for a bit she crawled into her hammock before I put on the cover.
Dont get me wrong, we did a ton of research, but boy ol boy did i underestimate the pitch he can put off when he is jealous, lonely or bored.

He is in great shape, all of his feathers are in tact and he sings all damn day long. His diet is only that expensive, because of my wife. I didn't even know there were that many fruits and nuts in the world.

The only thing I love about him is watching my wife and dauggter play, dance and sing with him. Other than that, I hate him (i'm still nice to him of course, because that is how I always get approval for another coral, fish or tank).

Good luck. I hope you guys are as happy with yours as my wife is with hers.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
She's pretty! They need a lot of attention, every day. If they get talked to, trained and loved they are great. If they live in the cage they become mean and very loud. We eat breakfast with ours every day and give them attention every evening. They are out of the cage whenever we are home.

And yea cockatoo's are loud bastards and crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
We have an umbrella cockatoo. And a Sunday conure. I'll tell you if they have the proper interaction and affection everyday they are great companions. This is why they will normally bond with one maybe two if you're lucky.

Our conure is our alarm, warning, and door bell. He will alarm is anything moves outside, this is his warning to the rest of the flock. Also he has another which is telling our dogs that someone is at the door and they know every time the difference in his calls.

Our cockatoo has been with my wife now for 20 years and she rescued the bird form a diet of potatoes chips and soda to a healthy one. Lol. She will scream and push her vent out if she is alone, only when more than one person is home. If my wife or I are alone at home she does not scream, who knows why.

Birds can be great companions just be careful what they hear, parrots so repeat, lol. There are CDs you can get and ply them when your not home to help your parrot to build their vocabulary. Their vocabulary will also build on curse words also. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
Cool bird! I almost got my first bird (lettered aracari) a couple years ago, built a custom cage, had all the gear and a deposit for the bird, but it ended up not working out. Now I just have to live vicariously through others and ogle birds at the store.