Picture of the day!

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My two hungry clowns...

djkms;93619 said:
A pearly jawfish, isn't it? How do you like this fish? I saw one at Stuart's house (mile high aquatics) and I loved it-- considering getting one for my tank but think I may need more hiding options for him.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
here is one of my favorites

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My Jawfish is a crowd favorite. Those that are in the hobby seem to always like my Idol. However, those not in the hobby that see my tank just love the jawfish. He took about a month to get settled in and start showing himself outside his hole. He hovers over his burrow grabbing food all day and building his castle higher. He has a little network of tunnels underneath the reef and darts back into his hole if anything is out of the ordinary. It is a very entertaining fish to say the least.

Jawfish IMO do best with the proper substrate for them to build their homes. A lot of people have them with sugar fine sand but they do better with a bit coarser substrate. They also need bigger shell pieces mixed in with the substrate to build walls for their tunnels and a door for their burrow at night. Yes they close the door behind them, its frickn sweet!

Jawfish are very timid so its important to make sure their tankmates won't bother or scare them. Its also important to have a cover for your system as they are known jumpers. All and all a very hardy and active fish, he is always watching everything and everyone. I actually bought a mated trio of them from a diver out in Florida, the trio shared the same burrow in the wild and was caught that way. Unfortunately 2 of the 3 jawfish died overnight the first night I got them :( Pretty rare to find even a couple in the wild sharing a hole let alone 3...

djkms;95230 said:
My Jawfish is a crowd favorite. Those that are in the hobby seem to always like my Idol. However, those not in the hobby that see my tank just love the jawfish. He took about a month to get settled in and start showing himself outside his hole. He hovers over his burrow grabbing food all day and building his castle higher. He has a little network of tunnels underneath the reef and darts back into his hole if anything is out of the ordinary. It is a very entertaining fish to say the least.

Jawfish IMO do best with the proper substrate for them to build their homes. A lot of people have them with sugar fine sand but they do better with a bit coarser substrate. They also need bigger shell pieces mixed in with the substrate to build walls for their tunnels and a door for their burrow at night. Yes they close the door behind them, its frickn sweet!

Jawfish are very timid so its important to make sure their tankmates won't bother or scare them. Its also important to have a cover for your system as they are known jumpers. All and all a very hardy and active fish, he is always watching everything and everyone. I actually bought a mated trio of them from a diver out in Florida, the trio shared the same burrow in the wild and was caught that way. Unfortunately 2 of the 3 jawfish died overnight the first night I got them :( Pretty rare to find even a couple in the wild sharing a hole let alone 3...
Thanks for sharing your experience. My substrate is mostly crushed shells and coral-- some are fine, but most are not. I often find my sixline moving pieces out of the cave he uses and my bicolor blenny moves shells around, too, though, he has an established cave that is part of the rock itself. I'd be willing to be the pearly would do fine with my substrate, though I don't know if its deep enough-- again, I can move stuff around to give him deeper areas, too. None of my fish are aggressive. My sixline and my male clown show off for one another, but no one actually fights.

I may have to submit this fish request to the committee (mainly, my wife) and see if we'll add this guy. We love color and beauty (which the pearly has) but we also like fish with character (blennies, clowns etc).

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
"They" recommend at least 6" substrate for jawfish however a couple inches will be fine IME. My first jawfish years ago lived in crushed coral of about 3" and my current system only has about 2" of substrate. They will build mounds to suit their needs.

djkms;95235 said:
"They" recommend at least 6" substrate for jawfish however a couple inches will be fine IME. My first jawfish years ago lived in crushed coral of about 3" and my current system only has about 2" of substrate. They will build mounds to suit their needs.
Good...glad to hear they'll make due. I don't know how deep mine is but it SEEMS really deep, especially in some places. So I think I'll give this fish a try.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just a few pictures i have taken lately, i am not a photographer:) [attachment=59825:name]