Pineapple Tree Coral dropping limbs

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So I got this coral about a month ago and since it has been in the tank it has dropped 2 limbs.
. I glued one to a plug.
and it is looking pretty good. I was worried I placed the parent colony in too high a flow area so I moved it to a lower flow area and it closed up and wouldn't stand up straight. I moved it back yesterday and it looks great again. Is it dropping limbs because it's having its needs met? When I say it is looking good the main stem is standing up and the polyps are extended.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Got it from Seth he called it a pineapple coral. I hope it's not a weed. He said it never dropped limbs in his tank.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Did some more research same genus different species. So their behaviors may be similar. Hope it doesn't act like a weed!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I think it looks cool. Like Seth said the trunk is a metallic green color and the polyps are purple when closed and maroonish when open.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Not bringing frags to the swap. Too many things wrong right now. Pest problems and possibly ich. Looks like ich on my blue tang it will be gone for a couple of days and then show back up for a day. I'm not going to pass any of that on to my friends to get a few frags. Really sucks since I have quiet a few things I could swap!

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks like a finger leather to me. Mine is probably the size of a cantaloupe, but self frags all the time. I will bring some to the frag swap.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FishTV;268539 said:
Looks like a finger leather to me. Mine is probably the size of a cantaloupe, but self frags all the time. I will bring some to the frag swap.
naa finger leathers are different.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They do this when they are happy. They will be everywhere before long - my guess is that you will see them as a weed one day. The cool thing is that they are easy to get rid of - just grab them and pull them off of the rocks.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Found another limb on the opposite side of the tank and it looks like a few more are pinching off.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;269087 said:
Found another limb on the opposite side of the tank and it looks like a few more are pinching off.

I am sorry! I never realised it could drop branches :/ but hey! sounds like some people are interested in it :p

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
sethsolomon;269089 said:
I am sorry! I never realised it could drop branches :/ but hey! sounds like some people are interested in it :p
I'm not worried about it yet. I like to coral and if it gets annoying I'll give some away.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Ive heard it called pinapple as well, very similar to Kenya tree, in fact the only difference I noticed was color, Ive had both and It will get annoying, I PROMISE. Its fairly combative, Ive had it kill zoas before and it spreads like nothing else, it cannot be contained and when you try to remove its as bad as aptasia, cut it off all the way down to the rock, and guess what, it grows right back. If you like it i would reccomend watching the mother and remove any peices that fall off, otherwise it will take over, give it a couple months.

I do keep a kenya tree becuase my file fish likes to eat it, but anytime it drops a frag it gets removed immediatly and flushed!