planted 125 tank help?

Robbiekrause33

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
hey all i picked up a 125 the other day and i kinda wanted to do a planted tank but i'm not sure where to start with what all i'd need for it. so any help would be awesome

thank you very much

Last edited by a moderator:

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I once thought about doing a planted tank. A few months back I was at Aqua Imports in Boulder, and the guy (owner?) there knew his stuff, and had a huge selection of plants. He'd be a great resource. He's also willing to put together a discounted package deal. That should save you some money, at least.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
H2O_intolerant;220522 said:
You don't have to, planted tanks can be awesome. The majority of us are a bunch of elitists anyway. Enjoy the planted tank!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD
+1 Planted tanks are amazing. Only reason I didn't get into it was because I was trying to learn how to do saltwater tanks, and didn't have spare brain cells to learn how to maintain a heavily planted tank on top of that.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Plus they're probably hundred times easier and more forgiving than reef tanks! Totally beautiful, check out all the Youtube videos of amazing planted tanks. It will get you motivated! Cool Shrimp colonies too.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dunno...low tech planted tanks (low light, not CO2 injection) are fairly easy and low maintenance if you set things up right from the beginning. Once you get into high light systems that run CO2 injection paired with dosing of Nitrate, Phosphate, and Potassium, things can get tricky. It can be a delicate balance trying to keep algae in check by running enough CO2 without asphyxiating the fish in your system.

Most of those amazing tanks you see do run CO2 to keep that amount of healthy growth and diversity of plants. Depending on how you dose the tank...you either end up with a lot of testing on a weekly basis, or just intentionally "overdosing: the tank and doing large (50%) weekly water changes.

To the OP, check out www.plantedtank.net as a great resource to get your feet wet with the different types of systems. Decide whether you want a low maintenance tank with slow growth and low cost, or if you prefer faster growth with more diverse species in exchange for more equipment and maintenance. I had both types running simultaneously...and although my "high tech" system running off CO2 injection crashed, I was ready to ditch that setup months before since it was so much more work for (IMO) similar results. My current system uses mineralized top soil underneath a gravel bed for nutrient and CO2 supply...and I do water changes 2x a year. My other tank that crashed had me doing 50% weekly water changes and dosing multiple nutrients daily.

Start off with good substrate! I used the basic gravel that was epoxy coated and I had to dose two or three times a week! With the better substrate you don't have to dose and you get great results! I was even figuring out that "high light" plants would grow perfectly fine off of simple lighting as well... On my 90 I grew bacopa (high light requirement plant) off of one Marineland single bright led, and when I switched my tank to having high light noticed no difference in growth! But my second suggestion would be seachems planted line! Stuff works amazingly! I don't run c02 anymore and I do a water change about every 6 months and all my test results come up perfect! I really enjoyed my planted tank to the point where I moved it in to my room because of such a natural look to it.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: planted 125 tank help?

I have a 5 gallon bucket FULL of a mixture of eco-complete and floramax, black n red, free if you want it....or anyone else and a couple pieces of med/lrg driftwood, one with some java fern attached. Lmk.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD