Please take down rapists of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had hoped being quiet about my objection would get the post removed. I'm still real offended by it. Using it as a noun or adjective in this day and age is about as alright as saying "homo's of the reef" "spicks of the reef" "niggers of the reef" or "rapists of the reef" it is offensive. The mom.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Rapist is not a name used to belittle somebody, it is a description of the action that has taken place, or the person(s) who performed the action, the term is used in the article and I cannot see myself either apologizing for, or removing it.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
WOW....I can understand the offensiveness of words if they are applied to people but using
an appropriately descriptive word to describe someTHING is just too much political correctness for my taste.
I'm sure I can be offended at just about every word in the dictionary...after all there are no more postMEN
or stewardESSES because someone was offended by it. I'm sorry if it's offensive to you but our dictionary
is soon going to be confined to ugh ugh ugh soon if all the words that are offensive to SOME people are outlawed.
Words should be not be offensive, context is what should determine the offensiveness.
JMHO

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Even though the title is correctly worded, I think the title can be offensive when there is no context to the title. This is especially true when you click on the article and a picture shows up with a guy standing behind a turtle. The context of the title (or the picture) is never fully explained until after you start reading the article. I think "Coral Reef Destroyed in Manila" would be a better title and might bring more people to read the article vs passing over it because they are expecting an article where it explains forced sex with a reef.

Regardless if it is or isn't offensive to you, I think as a small community we should be more sensitive to our community members and if someone takes offense just change the title or remove the article and be done with it. I would rather not debate the fact that someone shouldn't have been offended.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's a good way to approach the problem, if the person who started the thread agrees with this solution.
I will say one thing though. Freedom of speech is designed to protect offensive speech not to protect speech that is acceptable to everyone.

If Huckleberry Finn was the defining publication in marine aquaria, should we remove the publication from this site because it contains offensive language to some people?

I follow the logic here so I'll just discontinue my posts on this subject. Back to your regularly scheduled ....

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
othercents;99562 said:
Even though the title is correctly worded, I think the title can be offensive when there is no context to the title. This is especially true when you click on the article and a picture shows up with a guy standing behind a turtle. The context of the title (or the picture) is never fully explained until after you start reading the article. I think "Coral Reef Destroyed in Manila" would be a better title and might bring more people to read the article vs passing over it because they are expecting an article where it explains forced sex with a reef.

Regardless if it is or isn't offensive to you, I think as a small community we should be more sensitive to our community members and if someone takes offense just change the title or remove the article and be done with it. I would rather not debate the fact that someone shouldn't have been offended.
Can you imagine the amount of threads/discussions that would have been taken down because just 1 person thought it was innapropriate?? we cannot punish someone for the correct usage of a word in a title or a thread, especially when that person used it correctly, and it was not at all used to belittle or offend anyone. I, like wicked (even though he changed the title) would not be sorry because we left it as is. We have the discretion to leave things how they are or take them down, and it just makes no sense to change something when the creator did absolutely NOTHING wrong. JMHO

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow are we children? Or are we adults? If you dont like a word in a title then dont read the post! Its that simple.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sigh...there's always room for cake.

While I have no issue there is a feeling among rape victims, and women in general that using the word rape in context of something like depleting a reef denigrates the actual meaning and the seriousness of the crime. There's also a big part of society that believes that we're living in a rape culture right now so it's probably not the best time to use the word so flipantly.

The more you know and so forth.

Rape, with very few exceptions/context is very hurtful. It is offensive to women and others, plain and simple. I do not want it to be placing great folks on one side or the other in the ethics debate. Thank you for changing the title. Again, there is offensive language that can be found in a dictionary, it doesn't make it alright to use any more than nigger, spick, whore, or rape... I grew up living in awe of Jacaque Coustau. His legacy, as for others, their mission, is what matters in a big way. Thank you, the Mom.. I do not want it to be placing great folks on one side or the other in the ethics debate. Thank you for changing the title. Again, there is offensive language that can be found in a dictionary, it doesn't make it alright to use any more than nigger, spick, whore, or rape. Maybe it flew in 1960, but not in 2011. Thank you, the Mom.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
In the words of the late, great Mr. Carlin, "There are no bad words, only bad thoughts, and bad intentions."
BTW~ If you weren't so closed minded you might have learned something.
Also if you lived on that reef I bet you would attach a pretty sensitive word to the situation.
devastation
destruction
crime
abuse
immoral
violation
destroy
ruin
plunder
spoil
(notice they are all synonymous with another unspoken word, one that might have got a little more attention for a worthy cause due to peoples preconceived notions)
oh wait there I go with my words again.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm drowning in the hypocrisy of this thread!
Maybe the title should have been changed to "Therapists of the reef"

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
hurrafreak;99569 said:
We have the discretion to leave things how they are or take them down, and it just makes no sense to change something when the creator did absolutely NOTHING wrong. JMHO
So you are saying you are absolutely sure that the person didn't purposely choose a title that would cause problems when they could have easily chosen a different title that would have been more informative?

Off The Deep End;99571 said:
Wow are we children? Or are we adults? If you dont like a word in a title then dont read the post! Its that simple.
BTW. There are children on this forum.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
emilyolivia;99631 said:
Rape, with very few exceptions/context is very hurtful. It is offensive to women and others, plain and simple. I do not want it to be placing great folks on one side or the other in the ethics debate. Thank you for changing the title. Again, there is offensive language that can be found in a dictionary, it doesn't make it alright to use any more than nigger, spick, whore, or rape... I grew up living in awe of Jacaque Coustau. His legacy, as for others, their mission, is what matters in a big way. Thank you, the Mom.. I do not want it to be placing great folks on one side or the other in the ethics debate. Thank you for changing the title. Again, there is offensive language that can be found in a dictionary, it doesn't make it alright to use any more than nigger, spick, whore, or rape. Maybe it flew in 1960, but not in 2011. Thank you, the Mom.

Oh My God!! By your own token you have just completely contradicted the whole point of your own post. I find this post offensive!

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
emilyolivia;99554 said:
I had hoped being quiet about my objection would get the post removed. I'm still real offended by it. Using it as a noun or adjective in this day and age is about as alright as saying "homo's of the reef" "spicks of the reef" "niggers of the reef" or "rapists of the reef" it is offensive. The mom.
i don't think your making any friends with this post ...rapist is not a word used to discriminate people but all the words you used are
i think the real problem here is a lack of understanding the english language

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
WoW! Really? come on already, let it die and delete this whole thread imo. Things we learned: Some people are easily offended, some people are easily offended by offended people, some offended people easily offend offended people by using offensive descriptions as examples of offended items....and...there's always room for cake.

Take it for what its worth and shut it down. No ones opinions are going to be changed, only their feelings will be.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
othercents;99645 said:
So you are saying you are absolutely sure that the person didn't purposely choose a title that would cause problems when they could have easily chosen a different title that would have been more informative?

BTW. There are children on this forum.
1- I posted the title for the publication, with no ill will intended, the reef was devisated,...or "raped", the article says so in the first 2 lines, thats why I worded it that way.
2- My 12 year old daughter understood the difference, I would hope people teach their children that words can have more than 1 meaning.
3- I am closing this thread, if anybody wants to have a discussion on appropriate, or acceptable behavior I am not hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.