1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Plugging holes

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects' started by Miah2bzy, May 2, 2017.

1. Miah2bzy

Miah2bzy Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

Strictly talking about a reef tank here, I took off the old overflows and have 4 holes in the bottom of the tank. Originally I was going to put in bulkheads and plug those but I'll never use them again (I'm drilling holes farther up the back for a different overflow system). I'm thinking of just siliconing glass over the top as I did on a past tank.
    Thoughts?[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. maxthedog2000

maxthedog2000 Copepod

Sounds reasonable to me. However, bulkheads might be less expensive? I don't know.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

3. just_tim

just_tim Amphipod

I've sealed bottom factory holes with glass thicker than the tank and rtv silicone without issue. Seems to be a widely used patch method.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

4. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

That's how I closed the overflow holes in my 210g sump holds water just fine so far.

Miah2bzy likes this.
  5. Miah2bzy

Do I need to use similar sized glass/acrylic?

6. SynDen

I cut a thick piece of 3/4" in half that was big enough to cover both overflow spots when i did. I just happened to have the perfect piece for it, but dont think you need to go that thick. Similar thickness to your tank would work fine i think. I cleaned both really well, then laid liberal amounts of silicon down on the tank bottom, pressed the glass down on top, applied as much pressure as I could, and hold for a few minutes. Then run a bead along the outer perimeter of the glass panel, and for extra measure lay a bead on the inside of the hole on the bottom of the tank. Cure and then leak test.

7. jda123

jda123 Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

I used some 1/4 inch to cover holes before. You really need to get the silicone off for them to work. You don't need a lot of tensile strength here.

Do not use acrylic - it will reject the silicone after a while.

8. SynDen

+1 I have some sheets of 1/4" glass you are welcome to have one if you need it ;)

Miah2bzy likes this.
  9. Miah2bzy

I've got both. I think I used acrylic on the 30b, silicone around the hole and edges and it's holding well. I have pieces of glass too from baffles in an old 20L I'll use on this one though ;) thanks guys!!!!