Plumbing my overflow - BA "Bean Animal" style?

quackenbush

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've got a used Oceanic Tech 120 RR with a center overflow weir with 4 holes drilled. The original plumbing had two Durso overflows and two returns. I am considering doing a "BeanAnimal" overflow which would take 3 of the 4 holes drilled out of the bottom, only leaving space for one return. However, I am concerned I'm making a mistake here by reducing from two return pipes to one and wonder if I should do a Herbie style overflow instead. Any feedback here? My plan would be to use powerheads to create "gyre" current around the tank instead of two returns circulating to each side.

Current return pump is a Sicce Syncra 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I drilled 3 holes for a BA system in my 150, and it has been great. The tank is in my living room and it is pretty quiet, and I like the piece of mind of the backup return lines. I had durso returns in a 90 gallon and I was never able to get it as quiet as the BA. I think it is great!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'd go bean animal in your situation. Quietest and safest. No real issue with only one return. I have one return in my 175 and basement sump with a herbie overflow. I'd definitely do the bean if it was an option. One return has never given me problems and my overflow is silent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Won't make a gyre without a gyre type pump. Now making plenty of flow with powerheads and only having enough return to let sump operate (heat water, skim, etc) is fine.

If you got a custom tank, or drilling a new one, I'd do bean. But for me, I went with a herbie. Course with 4 holes that's 2 drains, 2 emergency. To do herbie for your's, you'd still need a 5th hole essentially, as running 2 siphon and an emergency I suspect isn't considered kosher for herbie. In my case my return is just hang on back. For my application it doesn't really hurt the aethetics any more than a normal return.

So, imo herbie, but either way you would ideally need to hob the return.

quackenbush

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks all for the feedback. After I posted I did some more research and remembered what I already knew - the overflow/return system is about filtration and treatment, not necessarily creating flow.

I am going to go with the Bean Animal. I have 4 holes drilled that fit 1" ID pipe bulkheads. (I believe the holes are 1 3/4" diameter). So 3 holes for the BA and one for the 1" return narrowing down to 3/4? lockline.

By "gyre" circulation, I mean a rotating current around the tank such that if you looked at it from above, flow would appear to be circulating in a counter clockwise direction with higher flow on top and lower flow deeper in the tank. The return line would be part of this pattern, but mostly using powerheads to create this effect....

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Right, but I don't think it will be as strong/efficient as the real gyre or jebao knockoff. A normal powerhead creates a rather narrow stream typically. I mean I suppose if up top on one side you put 3-5 powerheads in a line next to each other blowing across that might work semi similiar.

quackenbush

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fitz19d;n653438 said:
Right, but I don't think it will be as strong/efficient as the real gyre or jebao knockoff. A normal powerhead creates a rather narrow stream typically. I mean I suppose if up top on one side you put 3-5 powerheads in a line next to each other blowing across that might work semi similiar.
I understand. Part of the issue, particularly regarding this thread, is that I was concerned about how going from 2 returns to 1 would effect overall flow, and the bottom line is that I don't think it's an issue. Power heads and such are for creating flow and circulation, not necessarily the return.