Plumbing opinions

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Setting up a new tank (will get thread build started in a couple of days). I am currently on the plumbing portion of my tank to sump. The tank is a 120 with dual overflows, I have an idea on what I'm going to do just want some feed back on it and if anyone has other ideas going about it let me have them!

Full Sump Shot

Left Side of Sump

Right Side of Sump

Plumbing of Sump

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I like the yellow plan better than the orange, the orange has a lot of Tee's and 90"s. Are your bulkheads threaded on the inside or are they slip? I might be tempted, because of the relatively short runs you've got going and tight space under the stand, to do the whole thing with spa flex or barbed fittings and flex hose. Doing it all in hard PVC wouldn't be all that difficult, but with the tight space under the stand with flex hose you'd be able to move the plumbing around a bit to go around a skimmer or a reactor or whatever. With the hard line PVC you are sort of stuck with your original plan unless you want to cut it all out and re-do it all.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
All the bulk heads are threaded on the inside. I might be heading that way with the spa flex way. I was doing some pre planning and it seemed like it was going to be a hassle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was thinking of connecting the spa flex into a 1" PVC that goes into the bulk head to keep even pressure on it

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Another question I have is that the return pump I have is 1/2" threads. should I do all the plumbing going up to the bulk heads a 1/2" then convert to the 1" for the bulk head? Or convert right away and run 1" all the way

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;657103 said:
Plumb to basement
I wish but not an option ATM. Wife wouldn't approve of $350+ on return pump

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Irishman;657104 said:
I wish but not an option ATM. Wife wouldn't approve of $350+ on return pump

You can get a refurbished pump from Reeflo for a lot less than $350.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
What does everyone think of the utility pumps they sell at HD lol? One is at 1,920 GPH with a 30ft maximum head height.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;657116 said:
I would go with a trusted name personally
I hear ya. Just threw that out there

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
As far as plumbing with keeping the sump in the tank have each one of the drain going to one like the yellow. This way if one clogs the other will still be draining. The orange if it clogs it could plug up both drains. This would result in all the water in the sump on the floor.

Best option is build a stand for your sump in the basement and plumb it, if it is an option. Most cannot do this for one reason or another.

Jt looks like the cleaning job you have e done is superb compared to how it looked when we carried it in.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;657116 said:
I hear ya. Just threw that out there

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;657116 said:
I would only be able to trade for it ATM. I have extra equipment laying around from a 40 breeder I had set up and not enough frags to cover that lol.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Return finally plumbed. Not glued get though, going to do overflow plumbing to see it how it all looks first