PO4 reduction rate

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a cyano issue and have added GFO to reactively address the present PO4. As of now I have added less than the prescribed amount to the reactor and am planning on increasing as indicated quantitatively through testing and qualitatively through apparent reduction in the amount of cyano.

I don't want to shock the system by dropping it too fast, but I also don't want the process to be drawn out over time. Is there a rule of thumb that indicates a percentage decrease or a numerical testing value for me to follow?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im not sure of any rule of thumb but I can tell you that on my 60 cube (80g total) I can use 1TBS of BRS GFO and 1/4TBS of SeaChem phosgaurd in the same reactor with my carbon and go from .1 ppm to undetectable inside about 5 days. So dropping anywhere from .02-.03 PPM per day.

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
ThunderTwonk;305070 said:
Im not sure of any rule of thumb but I can tell you that on my 60 cube (80g total) I can use 1TBS of BRS GFO and 1/4TBS of SeaChem phosgaurd in the same reactor with my carbon and go from .1 ppm to undetectable inside about 5 days. So dropping anywhere from .02-.03 PPM per day.
Thanks TT
One tbs for 60g? My BRS product (not high-capacity) says one tbs per four gallons of water, which is 15 for 60g. I'm not questioning your math, simply saying that I am drastically underestimating the performance!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Right what im saying is don't start with the recommended dosage if that's what you end up using. Most will recommend starting with one half the recommended dosage but I found in my own experience that is still too much. Obviously there are other variables. After all I do combine GFO with phosgaurd. Also I suppose it depends on where you your PO4 is coming from.

There is no way every I would run 8tbs of the BRS GFO in my 60 let lone 15. If you do run the recommended dosage I would definitely use a reactor and only start with 4-6 hours a day and see what that does. This is assuming you haven't started using it already. I would test it daily for sure.

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Right on. Yeah, I started low, but not that low. I'll keep a close eye and remove as needed.