Poor man's dosing

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I've heard about people using Arm and Hammer baking soda, Prestone driveway heat, and epsom salts to keep alk, cal, mg levels in check. I know there's truth to this, my question is what are the dosing amounts and which one does what?

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
baking soda is for alkalinity. Using baking soda will lower the pH a little. Baked baking soda with increase the pH.
I personally use Arm and Hammer washing soda which is the same thing as baked baking soda.

I use a bucket of deicer for my calcium supplement.
I use the magnesium from Bulk Reef Supply for my mag supplements.

As for the amounts......I use this site.
http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Calcium/PH up~ Mrs. Wages pickleing lime=kalkwasser=calcuim hydroxide~mix 1 tblsp. into 1 gallon fresh water and DRIP into system (VERY high PH)
Alk/PH down~ Arm & Hammer= mix 2-3 tblsp. into 1/2 gallon and top off tank slowly, in sump if possible

Now those are both food grade products regulated by the FDA, Mg is an anomaly to me as people get all anal about RO/DI-TDS-Nutrient/Contaminate issues but...., piles of the de-icer in warehouses and silos that has little or no regulation on the actual content analysis being moved via front end loader and dump truck are far from pure.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've been doing this "frugal dosing" for over 4 yrs now. The Mag portion is both Epson salt and Mag chloride. I bought the 50lb Excell snow melt for the Calc, and the baking soda 10lb bags from Sams. To answer your q on how much to add - Like everything else, that depends on the size and consumption of your system. Most people use the recipe that Dv3 posted to put it in liquid form. I however put one dry tea spoon of the alk and calc every day in the sump, and a 12oz glass (from the 1 gal recipe) of the mag once a week. That works for me - You'll have to dose and measure a lot until you find the right mix. Good luck.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I take Calcium and alkalinity readings for a week and calculate the average per day that it drops. Then I use the chart from my previous post to find out how much
baked baking soda and calcium to add per day. I multiply each amount by 30, add that amount to three litres of filtered water and dose 100ml per day.

After dosing the entire amount I test the water to figure out how much to alter my formula on the next batch. I also add the magnesium from BRS.

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
This would make me nervous as hell. If I ever gave it a try, I would probably do it on an empty tank for a while to figure out what I am doing.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Randy Holmes Farley, the premier reef chemist (in my opinion), has been doing this for years. That's why I'm not nervous about the baking soda portion.
The calcium part makes me nervous because you never know if they are using ammonia in the manufacturing process. Same goes with mag chloride and magnesium hexahydrate.
If it's on his list of approved products I'd feel better but I can never find the products that he has tested.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
hmmmmm

dworkman

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
No reason to be nervous about using 2-Part, it's a tried and tested method these days. I got tired of mixing, so switched to a reactor, but it is very easy to dose and very hard to screw up unless you are pouring it into your tank. You can still precipitate a snowstorm with it though, so measure your levels everyday for the first week. The dosage amounts in the Holmes-Farley article in Table 1 ended up very close to what I needed. Use the calculator to find out your initial dose to get the CA/Alk levels where they need to be, then dose per the Table.

I've used Prestone Driveway Heat with no ill effects, but these days, with Bulk Reef as reasonable as they are, I'd just order from them and be done with it. Their large package will make enough to last you 6-8mos with 150gals for $63. But you could buy the same amount of A&H, Epsom Salts, and Mag Chloride for half that probably if you are comfortable with it. You can get 50lbs of the Driveway Heat with FS to an Ace for $24, that's hard to beat.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So question,

Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Ammonia 0
PH 8.0
Salinity 1.025
Calcium 500
KH 9 - 10

These are with no dosing of nothing just doing regular water changes that were neglected for 1 month with sand and crushed coral substrate in yalls opinions would I benefit from dosing. I know its a tough question to answer without more info I'm sure but, whats yalls general opinions.

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You would benefit more by getting a test kit for mag and alk. with your calcium so high, you never know what those other ones are and you may need to dose for them.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mantid;61845 said:
You would benefit more by getting a test kit for mag and alk. with your calcium so high, you never know what those other ones are and you may need to dose for them.
That is what I was thinking.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 for testing Alk and Mag.

for test kits, although there are other good options, my pref is Salifert.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Stupid question, why make your own 2 or 3 part mixtures when you can buy calcium and magnesium suppliments to use as needed?:idea:

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I see