poor mans macro

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I like to take pics of my tank, in case some of you couldn't tell! Well I've had macro envy since day one. I do the best I can with my walk around lens but whenever I have the 500+ for a macro lens I always have something else to spend it on. Well i finally caved in and bought an extension tube today. I bought a 25mm Canon brand tube and it's basically just a tube! There's no glass, it's just a hole. How in the heck will this help... and why was it so much... Well after trying it for a whole 10 minutes I am very pleased with the results. Will I stop wanting a macro lens? No! Of course not, but this tube was an inexpensive fix. Now I won't be as ashamed of my pics as I used to be lol. Anyway here are some pics. I kept messing with the white balance between shots so sorry for the inconsistent coloring. LMKWYT

Before
This is just with my walk around lens (28-135mm)

After
Same lens but with the tube. Tripod never moved.

Here are some more I took just because i find it fun to take pics!

BGM

Orange Explosion Zoas

Some fuzzy birdsnest

Unknown Tort

Rainbow pocillopora

Clown and bambams

Just the clown. Took 5 minutes to wait for the stupid thing to come to my field of vision lol so I took what I could get

Overall I am happy with the purchase. Is it better than a real macro? Um no... but it's not too far off!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well done man. Now when you spring for that macro and combine it with the extension tube you'll be in for some EPIC shots, lol.

Really like the clown pic, btw. Fish shots are difficult on a tripod for sure...1 little trick is to fold all the legs in so you essentially have a monopod and can pivot/tilt a little faster and still get a (somewhat) steadier shot than you would by just taking the picture handheld.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Where did you buy your macro tube, and what version?

If you ever wanna play with a 100mm macro, let me know.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got the EF 25 II, snagged it from craigslist. Dude had 2 for sale for 190 but got one for 75.

Thanks for the offer but i will be getting one with my tax return here in the next week or so

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: poor mans macro

great score but even greater pics!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Very nice.
It's amazing that Canon can get so much for a plastic cylinder.
There are third party extension tubes that work just as good but I think the Canon extension tubes actually
provide a seal so dust can't enter into the body and end up on the sensor. I could be wrong though. :D

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;218635 said:
Very nice.
It's amazing that Canon can get so much for a plastic cylinder.
There are third party extension tubes that work just as good but I think the Canon extension tubes actually
provide a seal so dust can't enter into the body and end up on the sensor. I could be wrong though. :D
Yeah I was a bit amazed they cost so much too. I assumed it was well built to handle the weight of certain lenses but no...it's a cheap plastic feeling thing.

H2O_intolerant;218652 said:
Is that the highest resolution? I find myself using my TV as my monitor, they look good.
I actually have these reduced by a little over 50 percent lol.

Amazing shots! I have a canon 20D and I could not figure out which lens to use (I have the 28-155 too as well as a 55mm). I'm going to have to look into that extension tube for my lens too!