Potassium

Hello everyone! Recently I have noticed something that I cannot get a straight answer from LFS owners about so I am bringin it to the forums.

I recently realized that I had made a very bad rookie mistake. I hadn't calibrated my refractometer in a long time and I was making salt about 6 pts below what should be, thus making my tank about 1.019 Scary right! Well I fixed that problem immediately after realizing what was going on. During this time my magnesium would plummet during water changes and I found myself adding a gross amount of mag just to get up to 1350. Personally I like to keep my tank at 1400 but not higher than 1450. I also have been experimenting with adding very very small amounts of potassium to my tank after a water change. I have noticed that my cal and mag levels have steadily gone up and are very stable. I know that the salinity screw up may be playing a huge part in this, but can anyone educate me a little on how potassium could affect this as well? I have never had my levels be this stable and by that I mean I would have to test 2 or 3 times a week and dose accordingly and right now when I test, levels have not drastically dropped and I am testing less and less. Here are my stats!

160 Reef/Fish
Cal 440
Mag 1440
Kh 9
Ph 8.2-8.4 (give or take)
Sal - 1.025-1.026

BTW my corals are doing awesome. They did suffer when the salinity was low, but now that I fixed that problem 2 months ago, they are doing great. So I am not sure if it's the salinity or the potassium that's affecting everything positively. Thanks everyone and Happy Reefing!

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
i really think it is getting your salinity level back in working order that has really made your tank happy again. Potassium as far I have read is great for SPS and your corals can benefit from the addition. But again it was your low salinity that was the cause to any issues you had.

Thanks for replying KhensuRa.. I appreciate the insight.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would agree, I didnt see this thread or I would have chimed in, potassium (or lack there of) is almost never a problem, but it can help increase some coral growth.
Also if you used potassium chloride it would have increased the salinity as it is a salt, so you may be asking if it is this, or that, when actually the two coincide.

Thanks Wicked Demon. I appreciate the insight.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I guess one positive you can take with a salinity of 1.019 is that you wont have many parasites that would of survived at that level. Back in 1992 when I started in the hobbie we would keep our tanks at 1.019 to keep marine ich and other nasties away, but this was a tough level to keep sps they would almost never make it back then.