Power outage -- Lost all fish... - Thinking about getting out -- help price equipment

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have been in/out of this hobby for about 25 years. I've had several tanks, and have experienced crashes, but last night was a doozy.

About 4:00 PM yesterday my house experienced a brownout. Everything was fine after that. Then this morning, everything for my tank was powered off. I had to power cycle all of my PC4's, and everything turned back on. I then noticed right away that all of my fish were dead. Including, large naso, large purple tang, med bristle tooth tang, 4 designer clowns, wrasse, all shrimp, all but one star fish, etc..... Most of my corals seem ok, but at this point I'm not sure I want to continue in this hobby. I see several snails and crabs, but probably lost a few of them too.

All of my fish were super healthy, and the thought of QT'ing fish is not something I fell like doing again.

Before I decide for sure to sell, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on how to price the following equipment as both a bundle, and also individually.

My corals are all large colonies, and if I decided to sell, I'll take pictures and go from there.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Prob would help if I list the equipment. :)

Tanks

Main DT
6 foot long -105G Peninsula style acrylic tank
Cherry stand and canopy

8G Biocube with custom LED

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tanks

Main DT
Cherry stand and canopy

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't know why the system won't let me post everything as a copy/paste.

Trying again

Tanks

Main DT
Cherry stand and canopy

12 gal Nanocube, with custom LED
30 gal QT tank, with heater, filter, etc

Controller
2x - RKE
4x - PC4
3x - SL1
1x - ALC
1X - Net Module

Skimmers

Aquamax Cone S
SWC Skimmer

3x - Chinese LED

Misc
Qty 2 - BRS dosing pumps
MP40
MP10
Two Little Fish reactor
30 gal acrylic sump
Internal return pump (currently being used)
External return pump (attached to water changing station)
2-3 small dosing pumps
Tons of extra pumps, heaters, chemicals, etc.

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry to hear it. Sucks having things happen like this. Prices in the used market are tough. usually 1/2 to 1/3 of retail if your lucky. Tanks and stands are about a 1 to 2 bucks per gallon pending on condition Its what I see anyhow. Good luck!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Sorry to hear this man, its never easy to lose pets you love and have raised, but I wouldnt rush to sell everything. Let the tank sit fallow for a few weeks and then decide whether or not you are going to sell, or try new fish. Events like these are traggic, but can sometimes lead to new avenues you hadnt explored before. If you rush to sell everything, you might regret it though. If you let it sit a few weeks and you still want to sell it then do so, at least you gave it time to think it through first

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry to hear that happened, I agree with SynDen. Do a water change and let it sit for a little and think about it. More then likely you'll be wanting to start again when the pain subsides.

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thats a crappy thing to have happen! So sorry to hear about that. Im with Juan, water change and let everything sit. Sounds like you have a lot of time and money into this hobby.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Don't get out you know you love it. It is hard sometimes but your rebuild will be even better. Personally I am buying generator from harbor freight for just such an event. $99.99 insurance

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry to hear about your loses, hold off on getting out, youll prob want back in and the will have to really start fro scratch

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks everyone.

So, I'm still on the fence with what I'd like to do. If I get out, then back in down the road, I'm ok with that, as building the tank is most of the fun. My tank is so jammed with corals, and over growth, I don't do much with it any more. But with that said, I have so many cool corals, that you don't see that often, it would suck to start over.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Stay in!! Find a "low maintenance" mode for a bit, just do basic maintenance. Maybe go fish-less for a while, just keep your corals going. Down the road you might draw some inspiration from a setup in the club and reignite your passion!

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
asn-naso;n661561 said:
Thanks everyone.

So, I'm still on the fence with what I'd like to do. If I get out, then back in down the road, I'm ok with that, as building the tank is most of the fun. My tank is so jammed with corals, and over growth, I don't do much with it any more. But with that said, I have so many cool corals, that you don't see that often, it would suck to start over.
If you don't want to stay in do what I did last time and give corals toa few people you trust or frags and just ask for frags in return when you get back in. Worked great for me. Won't get it all back cause things happen but most of it yes.