Power tools?

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
sawzaw, drill, rotory saw, dremel, etc etc etc, there isn't a tool you don't need. a couple different size channel lock pliers and a coulpe different size crescent wrenches

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I've been really happy with my 18v Ryobi cordless drill. It was cheap, but has a lot of power and has lasted me close to 7 years at this point. I did have to buy a new battery for it, but I suppose that is to be expected.

A kit like this would maybe be a good place to start if you are needing lots of tools right off the bat (http://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-18-Volt...&ie=UTF8&qid=1434596781&sr=1-1&keywords=ryobi)

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My philosophy has been to accumulate the tools slowly on an as needed basis and try to buy quality. Do research on a tool online before you buy. Some brands are great for one tool, but mediocre for another type of tool. I started with a good cordless drill (a hammer drill would be nice, but I haven't had to have one yet). When you buy cordless research the other tools from that brand since you will probably want to stick with one ecosystem so the batteries are interchangeable. I think my next big purchase was a compound miter saw (chop saw) - based on my projects, I've used this the most. You will also want a jigsaw and a circular saw (these are both fairly inexpensive). I got a sawzall, but haven't really needed it a ton. I got a small contractors table saw which has been awesome so far. I'm really space limited, so I've had to be really careful about what/how much I buy. If you have a ton of space go wild.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Power tools?

Most of my tools I've gotten off Craigslist or from habitat but It honestly depends on your preferences and what you want to do/what wood you are using.
For around the house and light construction projects I have a 5 pack set by black and decker i picked up at a garage sale for $35 4 years ago. Has a cordless screw driver, angle screw driver, a sawzall, etc. Its only 7.5v but has handled every house project and all It needed was a new set of batteries and drill bit kit. This is still my go to kit.
For more beefy construction projects and good all purpose tools you can't go wrong with a scroll saw and a compound mitre. Scroll saw can do most anything a table saw can, takes up less room and can fit in your car - nearly every construction site I've been on this is the tool that gets used the most. A compound mitre can make pretty much any cut and angle on a piece of wood you'd need. My current one I found on Craigslist and only needed a new blade.
I used to have a decent cordless but then bought my current impact driver and that's my go to now alongside a good hammer.
If you're going to be doing a lot of repurposing wood and such I'd get a sawzall, the interchanging blades are great and I can rip a pallet down in 2 minutes without breaking a board. They're also good for cutting out tree branches :)
If you're going to be doing any painting pick up a purdy brush 2.5" straight, they're expensive but it's my favorite brush and I've had it for years (my father in law swears by them). If you take care of it you won't need another brush.
That's my list:
Scroll saw, compound mitre, impact driver, hammer, purdy brush. I use these almost every day.

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Power drill and a circular saw are must haves imo. I use dewalt tools, they have good longevity and power. Other tools that are good to have, is a palm sander, miter saw, sawzall, impact/hammer drill, table saw and maybe a router. You would be able to build just about anything with those.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My recommendations for tools:

1. Hand drill 18v
2. Circular saw corded
3. Miter saw/contractor table saw
4. dremel corded - don't buy the dremels with batteries
5. sawzall a must have if you are cutting through things with nails and such