Problem with tank.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
I'm having an algae breakout and not sure where its coming from.

Tested the tank today:

Nitrates: 15ppm
PO4: .03
PH: 8.4
Alk: 13.3
CA: 475
MG: 1200
Salinity: 1.02
Temp: 78.8

Any advice or suggestions. I am dosing kalk and that is it.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'm not so sure that low salinity would cause the algae break out but 1.02 is pretty low for a reef. I would try to get it up to at least 1.024

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
CRW Reef;636856 said:
I'm not so sure that low salinity would cause the algae break out but 1.02 is pretty low for a reef. I would try to get it up to at least 1.024
Sorry mistype there. Salinity is 1.026

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Things I've done to reduce nuisance algae - chaeto (out competes algae in display), Vodka dosing (or other form of carbon dosing), GFO and Carbon reactor. Easy to cut down on feedings, and use high quality foods....that's another easy fix. Possibly lower your photo period? You can be diligent about siphoning that algae out of there. It seems like there are more remedies than causes, but ultimately it is finding out the source and fixing that or finding out your fix and doing what works for you. I mean there are really 1001 fixes, and sadly no silver bullet that fixes it in one shot.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is the alk reading of 13.3 too high? Not sure if this has anything to do with the algae though. I battled algae when my tank was still pretty new and kept the algae in check by cutting back lighting run time, reduced feeding, increased water changes, running gfo, manual removal, chaeto in sump, adding clean up crew etc.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Skimmer? Chemi clean? I recently had an outbreak as well, and realized that my chemipure had expired and my skimmer wasn't producing anymore (it was a cheapo). Replaced chemipure, upgraded skimmer, manual removal. Seems to be helping.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
At a year old if you used dry rock it's still pretty new. Any changes in lighting or what type of lighting I personally love t5 but once the bulbs get old they will definitely cause algae. What type of flow do you have in the aquarium.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
I have one hydra 52, and four 24" t5s. Two rw8s and a dct6000 return pump. It's a 65 gallon tank and the rock was cured from an established tank.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nitrates are super high. This might be due to over feeding since this is an established tank or your nitrate export method is not keeping pace. how are you removing Nitrates? Skimmer? Carbon dosing? ATS? GFO, Carbon? Should target to be

chanson123

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
that0neguy1126;n636921 said:
Nitrates are super high. This might be due to over feeding since this is an established tank or your nitrate export method is not keeping pace. how are you removing Nitrates? Skimmer? Carbon dosing? ATS? GFO, Carbon? Should target to be

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
that0neguy1126;636921 said: