Problems with heatsink from nanocustoms. Any suggestions??

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a BC29, and ordered the pre-drilled heatsink from Nanocustoms. I was going to use this with the DIY kit I ordered from RapidLed. Both companies use CREE lights, and are decent companies from what I can tell.

Well, the LED's do not match up with the pre-drilled holes on the nanocustoms heatsink. I tried putting the screws at 12 and 6 (if you were looking at a clock), and the CREE star is too long to fit between the holes (see pic). If you turn it and put the screws at 10 and 8 it fits, but the star is loose, and can fall out.

All of the pics I've see show them at 12 and 6, so what gives? Is nanocustoms drilling off spec holes, or is rapidled selling off-spec LED's?

This is frustrating, because it took nanocustoms 3 weeks to send the heatsink to me..

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

View attachment 2912

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If I where you I would just use thermal adhesive and place them as close to the pre drilled holes as possible. I think you can get the thermal adhesive from radio shack or order some from rapid. Or you can drill the holes yourself.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What model crees do you have and what model is the heat sink drilled for? Did the screws come with the heat sink? The crees look like they are made for rapid specifically so they would be the ones to ask if they are made to custom specifications. Call the suppliers, The guys at nano and rapid are all helpful.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wanted to add an update. I have talked to Chris from nanocustoms, and his heatsinks are designed for his LED's. But what is cool, he asked for some measurements on the rapidled, leds, and he is going to custom drill a heatsink for them, and send it to me. He is also going to add this option to his website, so he can do it in the future too.

Now that is what I call customer service!!

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Holy **** the is killer service.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have one suggestion. If those are metal screws, don't use them. It looks like
they could short the pads to the heatsink which would release the magic smoke
from electronics.
I bought some nylon screws from amazon or ebay (can't remember which). They
work well, you just have to buy the correct size.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I second that, you can can get nylon screws from ACE hardware.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
If you don't want to buy all new screws, you can also get some nylon washers to put between the screw head and star. Good luck with the build.

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I also have a nanocustoms heatsink and used the adhesive pads that they sell , way more options for mounting,no worry about shorting, and they have worked great.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk