Problems with my montis

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Monties have always been easy for me in the past. However my 60 cube just will not grow or color them . they grey out every time. I pretty much only run 14k MH at this point and all other parameters are rock solid. I have never tested for potassium however.

who makes a good test kit for that. Not saying ill start dosing potassium as everything else grows good but I am curious now what my levels are.

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I really liked the salifert test but I think they stopped making it this year. I have been dosing potassium (brightwells powdered potassion) for a year and a half with very good results. I bought a red sea potassium test kit and have discontinued using it. It always reads 440 +/-, which caused me to reduce dosing, which caused my montis to loose some color. Now I dose based on the color of my rainbow monti. When the skin is blue, my my potassium dosing amount stays the same. When the skin loses its blue, i increase the dosing amount. This works for me.

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
More thoughts... It was actually 2 years ago when I started testing and dosing potassium, after Scott Fellman from Unique Corals gave a talk on the subject at Reefstock. My montis had never looked very good. He suggested potassium was the issue and also recommended dosing amino acids. I cant say it was the potassium alone that got my montis going because I also started dosing acropower (amino acids) at the same time.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good news, all of my montis are doing great. I started dosing potassium, added carbon in filter bags to my sump, and began using a poly filter and replacing it once a month. Not sure what helped but peverything is doing great now. I did end up losing my Jedi mind trick but all other montis have recovered.