Pump Failure?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Since yesterday morning the pump on my Reeflo Orca skimmer seems to have gone out. I came in this morning to a puddle of water on the floor and the pump was really hot and not running. I have never had a problem with my Reeflo pumps outside of the seals gradually breaking down. The only thing I can think of is that the seal broke leaking saltwater around the pump that built up enough to reach and burn out the pump. I am going to let it sit and try to plug it back in once it is cool. I did have the pump rebuilt by Reeflo 2-3 years ago prior to installing it on the tank. Any suggestions are welcome. If it is burned up I am open to suggestions for replacement since I am not sure if I will be able to get one or not.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Sorry man! At least it wasn't the return pump. How much flow are you going to be needing for that skimmer to function properly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Not sure on the specs. Reeflo can rebuild them if the electrical isn't fried, but I will have to wait and see. I have found replacements online, but the pump new is $460 which is more than the PTA gave me to spend this year. I am hoping it can be rebuilt or Reeflo will hook me up as they have in the past.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
The pump is essentially a Dart Gold with an needle wheel impeller.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I appreciate that Mike! I will see where things stand later today, but based upon what I'm seeing I think the pump has seized up. I cannot turn the screw on the back of the motor either direction. I will be sending Reeflo an email to see what they recommend.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Thanks for the offer Doug, but Reeflo has come through for me yet again!!! Reeflo is sending me a replacement tomorrow they have been very supportive of the tanks in the classroom and library.