Punjab's 200 Upgrade

Punjab

Angel Fish
Hello all!
I've been setting up a 200 gallon that I picked up about 4 or 5 months ago and thought I should probably start a thread for it. Everything from my 150 was transferred a couple weeks ago and is doing really well so far. The 150 was a sweet setup but over the years I realized I wanted some different things in terms of ease of maintenance, height, equipment concealment, and of course SPACE!
150 thread
Here are a couple of pictures of that tank before I moved everything over.
View attachment 21668 View attachment 21669

When I bought the 200 it was all oak which the wife said was not going to jive with the rest of our home decor. I said, meh, but the forces of nature insisted it be transformed!
View attachment 21667

So we spent time when we had it, stripping the glossy shelac and covering it with a white-wash made from Killz. I left the inside of the stand as it was but everything else including the inside of the canopy got a new coating. Since the tank was used I needed to make sure it wouldn't leak anywhere and ran a leak test with tap water for a week.

This next pic is from once I had the stand inside the house and the tank positioned and I began mixing up the extra water I'd need to make up the difference between the 150. I actually mixed up a new 100 gallons of saltwater.
View attachment 21670

One of the biggest differences from my old system is that now I can squeeze most of my sump and equipment underneath the stand instead of behind the tank as I had to do with the 150. I got a bigger tank and actually reduced the amount of floor space that the system took up compared to the old setup.
Once that was good I took a deep breath and moved everything over!
View attachment 21671

Combining the contents of an established tank with a new tank was not easy and I wouldn't really recommend it. I honestly expected to lose some fish or at least a cleaner shrimp due to stress but so far I've been really lucky and literally everything survived in stride. I considered a holding system for the livestock but in the end just bit the bullet. The total process took about 4 or 5 hours.

Since then everything has been going well. The tank has cleared up considerably and I've been able to get things organized the way I want them... for the most part.
View attachment 21672 View attachment 21673 View attachment 21674

Needs more rock though!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Lookin Great man! nice upgrade

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Punjab;332122 said:
I've got a pair of 250w Icecap pendants and Icecap electronic ballasts and the middle is a Maxspect R420R 120w.

I was like that lighting sounds familiar. Just realised it was you Chance :p

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I pmed u but when ur ready the rock can be moved.

I realized I haven't updated since before Thanksgiving so, blurry FTS from a couple weeks ago:

[attachment=68724:name]

The cyano is all gone now. This tank is so deep I can't really maneuver things at the bottom without getting my shirt and/or hair wet.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
very clean lookin build man, I like it alot

Thanks! It would probably look even cleaner under the stand if I'd go get a glass tank to replace my top-off bucket. The bucket is also not nearly enough capacity for how much this tank evaporates in a week.

Update

Just some pictures from today. Most pieces are still frags but everything is growing steadily. These 90 degree days are forcing me to keep the canopy open to vent heat from the lights.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice looking tank and grats on the baby!