Purple deaths are not so purple any more

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
So my purple death colony has lost some of its deep purple color and now at the peak of my whites it looks somewhat brownish. I tried moving it up and down my tank(still in the loser section) a couple of times but haven't noticed big diffrence. I kept them for at least three weeks in their new locations to see the effect over some time. Not much. If anyone has seen this before and succesfully dealt with this please let me know. Should they be placed up high? Does the flow make a lot of difference with them? All of my other zoas are looking bright except these ones. Should i give PurpleUp a shot????(kidding)

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Swanny;243061 said:
I have mine high up in the tank and they are colored up nicely. Off topic, how is that setosa frag doing?
Hey Todd, that setosa frag is doing great. Really bright!. Thx for hooking me up with it! I may try moving my PD's up higher see if that helps. They do look pretty good under the blues though, may that's just how they are??

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Swanny;243065 said:
Are the new to the tank? Mine took a while to purple up.
I've had them for a couple of months now. I think they had better coloration when i picked them up.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Mine are in the sand bed in low flow, look great. I pound alot of light into my tank though so placement is liking going to depend on your PAR.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Po4 could be high people have noticed changes in color of certain zoas. No scientific research haha but on R2R I w read plenty of thread about loss of color and when they got their po4 back down the color came back.

HBL

Cleaner Shrimp
AllysonP;243163 said:
i had ours in high light and noticed there purple was fading so i have them in really low light and there color is coming back to the deep purple. i mean really low light almost shaded
+1

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Purple deaths are not so purple any more

AllysonP;243163 said:
i had ours in high light and noticed there purple was fading so i have them in really low light and there color is coming back to the deep purple. i mean really low light almost shaded
+1
Mine were deep purple under halides then faded under higher power leds ... even burned a couple at the bottom of my tank.

G

mine flourished under leds. When i moved them to a halide they allmost stopped growing all together. Never turned brown though...

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks for your input everyone! I think there may be a couple of things here... They came from a tank with metal halide lighting and I placed at about the same leve or may be even high in my tank. I also have been battling high Po4 levels that may have contributed to some discoloration as well. It's weird that all the other zoas are do

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Are doing great placed at different levels in the tank and the colors on them are very vibrant. So I guess I'll move them to lower light for now and will work on decreasing phosphates.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
excellent!! I'm thinking maybe I need to move mine to lower light, based on what I just learned from this thread.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Yeah, i pretty much moved them into a cave on the sand bed, they were there for almost three weeks. moved them out of the shaded area a bit a few days ago and they are looking pretty good now. my Po4 went down as well, so may be a combination of these two things

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Purple deaths are not so purple any more

Mine are low and a bit shaded. They are pretty purple. They did brown out when I got them. I'd just find a spot for them and let them be. I think they can be happy in a variety of spots but need time. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk