Question for board members

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Has anyone ever thought about getting a club tank (donation) put together? I was thinking that it would be great to assemble and maintain a club tank and then donate it to like the childerns hospital. It could be built just off club member donations and then club members could maintain it as well. Maybe some of the sponcers could help as well. It was just a thought that I had for a way for all of us to give to the community. :cigar:

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
the childrens hospital in aurora has a few SW tanks....i wonder who maintains them? one is a FOWLR with a huge eel! (it was outside of the nicu wen my son was there so i spent ALOT of time just trying to get my mind off of stuff gazing into that tank.) and the other is a reef but only a few softies i think.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
it has been talked about before with the last board ....setting it up is easy ...keeping it going is the hard part
donations are nice but they aren't commitments

bsharpe

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
I think that the club should commit to the Columbine tank with a standard donation of salt or any other supplies they might need.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
The problem is the donations and the commitment. Sure, we could probably get a tank going somewhere initially with a lot of good response. The problem is after that. We would need someone to maintain it pretty mug forever, plus people would need to _continue_ to do ate things. It's hard to promise this to a school or hospital without knowing that there's a continual show of support. They wouldn't want to be stuck with a tank that they can't take care of (manually or financially) if all of a sudden support dries up from us?

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pisces II;140049 said:
I think that the club should commit to the Columbine tank with a standard donation of salt or any other supplies they might need.
didnt know columbine had a tank ...do we have members from columbine here?

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
We helped to establish the Columbine tank over a decade ago pretty much with the same idea that is at the start of this thread and well look above for how things go. One of the Columbine teachers used to be a member but he moved years ago last I heard.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
scchase;140083 said:
We helped to establish the Columbine tank over a decade ago pretty much with the same idea that is at the start of this thread and well look above for how things go. One of the Columbine teachers used to be a member but he moved years ago last I heard.
Ok well if we are able to help that tank I will donate 1 day a month for the next year.
that will include water for water changes and cleaning supplys.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
its a great idea mike but i just dont think the club has the resources to keep something like this going if need be

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
dv3;140080 said:
didnt know columbine had a tank ...do we have members from columbine here?
Yes screen name Rebel. I have not seen him around in a while and his profile says since last Aug.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
He is still around he maintains the tank. I think the biggest thing for that tank would be goods donations.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I still talk to Jason (Rebel) on occasion. We discussed helping out their tank a few months back and there seemed to be a lot of support but nothing materialized. Jason is in fact maintaining the aquarium on his dime and I know he is always willing to accept donations.

Maybe we should do one of the upcoming MASC meetings at the school and have members bring donations for the schools tank?

I can get in contact with Jason if you guys would like to do anything, just let me know.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
This thread has been cleaned up. Please be mindful of what you are posting.

Any further posts that are off topic or uncalled for will be deleted and infractions given if warranted.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I always miss the excitement....

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
For those who do not know a little history on the Columbine High School Reef compliments of www.tolerance.org

Reef For All

Columbine High School English teacher Jason Webb took an uncommon approach in coping with emotional repercussions following the 1999 tragedy.

"Shortly after the shootings, I decided to build a saltwater aquarium to help take my mind off of the tragedy," Webb said.

Although experienced with freshwater tanks, he spent the summer learning of the construction and care of a marine aquarium — a process that also helped him find solace and healing.

Webb returned to school in the fall of 1999 and learned that students and teachers were avoiding the temporary library housed in a doublewide trailer, in part, according to Webb "because of what had happened in the previous library."

Research scientists have long known that watching fish in aquariums has a calming effect. Webb decided fish therapy might help bring students back to the school library.

Webb contacted aquarium enthusiasts through Internet bulletin boards called reef chats.

He received more than just technical information about building an aquarium in a school setting. when reef-chat readers learned he taught at Columbine, Webb was flooded with offers of donations — everything from fish, rock and coral to the glass aquarium itself.

He dedicated hours planning and setting up the reef tank, and he began to spend even more time maintaining it. Fortunately, his actions caught the eyes of students wanting to lend a hand, and soon he had a small team helping him.

Excitement spread as teachers created aquarium-focused lessons.

"Art classes designed posters of saltwater inhabitants, and a creative writing class produced a 21-page handbook of the fish and corals in the tank," Webb said.

The tank was generating the result he had hoped: "Each day, students would sit and gaze at the wonder and amazement of the underwater world."

The Healing of People Everywhere Foundation (HOPE), a nonprofit established to raise funds for a new library, was so impressed with the aquarium's success that the library's floor plans included a larger, built-in reef aquarium.

Coordinating with HOPE and the school district, as well as businesses and individuals, Webb raised funds to build the aquarium. Once again, donations came in to support the effort.

Webb met with architects and engineers to design the new aquatic home. After six months of painstaking planning and peer support on the reef chats, Webb was able to accomplish what he called "one of the most rewarding endeavors of my life."

Today, the tiny, colorful marine creatures provide cherished moments of solitude and escape in a library that does more than house books.

"Just as the horrible tragedy of April 20th brought the nation closer together, so did the nation come together in this effort to help Columbine High School," Webb said. "This is a reef for all."