R_P's 120 build!

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I know this should've been started a while a ago, but I'm starting now. I have a 120 RR glass tank w/55 gallon sump. DIY lighting: 55w 10000K, 96w actinic, 2x 400w 14000K MH. Tank has just finished cycling....but I forgot the sand, and more rock. So, thanks to CL deals of the day, I picked up 90lbs of live rock, 100lbs of live sand, a remora, and a little giant 3 for $50. Since I now have a bunch of live rock, I'll be putting the DIY LR on hold for the time being. I'll post pics a little later, right now I'm super excited to set up the remora so off to Lowes I go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is the tank after I added the new sand and rock.

A quick shot of the sump area

DIY lights mounted in canopy

I still need to finish the trim on the bottom of the tank, and I really want to replace the magnetic ballast with an electric one.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
gonna be real nice Rocky. Lookin good.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I decided to replace the old Wei-Pro SA20013

with the new AquaC EV 180(I think, I checked out the user manuals and the 180 matched more closely than the 120)

Since the AquaC needed a stand....

I went to Lowes to try and find some inspiration for a DIY stand and I found some at Target instead. I drilled holes in 4 plastic cups and used zip ties to strap them to the skimmer. Works good, but now my old pump and the AquaC don't get along and I'm going to try and hook up the Little Giant model 3 tomorrow. Do you guys think the little giant will be too much for it?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've been messing with the new skimmer. I decided to put in the little giant I had given to me, and nothing happened. The pump isn't pumping water. The motor heats up and that's when I decide its time to shut it down. I just cleaned the impeller and internals. Nothing was really broken or that dirty. Do you guys think that the EV180 will do fine with a mag5?

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The mag 5 is a little light on an EV180. It recommends a 7, so you are already 200gph under the recommendation, not to mention loss from head pressure, etc. I would keep your eyes open for a 7 if you can get it and sell the 5 or keep the 5 for mixing water for changes.

The EV skimmer will need a break in period, however if the bubbles are at the bottom of the chamber even after adjusting the gate valve, it could be because the pump is underpowered. Remember, with that skimmer, make small adjustments, and give the skimmer time to catch up. Also be sure that you regularly clean both the spray injector and the air intake, and try to leave the air intake wide open if possible.

Cheers~!
Jon

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
The little giant mdqx is read is rated at 1100 gph, am I overpowering it? I'll mess with the gate valve though. I'm also adding Prime to keep the ammonia under control, will that affect the skimmer performance?

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So you are using the little giant externally, and running it through the skimmer? Are you running it at wide open on the skimmer, or are you teeing off of, say your return line, and running part of it to the skimmer?

The prime will not affect the skimmer performance.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;42359 said:
Aiptasia! No such thing as free rock

most times when you pay for it you end up with aipstaisa anyhow so feel lucky you didn't buy it

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jon-I'm running it externally, not off the exit though. I feel that there are too many bubbles coming out of it. I have a piece of hose sucking up water and then another piece, with a ball valve, going to the skimmer. the ball valve is wide open and I closed the gate valve a bit to get the bubbles to the top of the first chamber.

DV- I'm so glad a didn't pay for it. What's the harm in having aiptasia? Won't stuff eat it?

I have now slightly closed the ball valve due to the collection cup overflowing

aptasia

Kill It! There aren't really that many things that eat it (butterfly fish sometimes, berghia who are so small you never really know what happened to them in the tank, and cleaner shrimp) and once the aptasia starts multiplying they can't really keep up with it. You can't pull it off the rock or the small leftover pieces will reproduce more aptasia. It just keeps making more of itself and will take over everything in your tank, stinging everything in it's wake. I had such a bad problem with it and after trying every remedy finally gave up and let my tank die. It was EVERYWHERE and I was sad:(. I only share since you asked what was bad about it. HATE Aptasia! I am happy to say that i haven't had any since I restarted my tank two years ago.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I took some advice and began killing it.
+
+
=

I think its dead, hopefully at least dying. Also found a bunch of spiderweb looking things on the underside of some rocks, so I took the liberty of injecting those too.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Be careful of injecting the spiderweb looking things.....that could be sponge that you are killing and if you kill enough you may have problems. You might want to run some carbon just in case :)

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I've started putting together a list of fishies to keep. Some are optional, some I haven't decide which species to keep. I'd really like input on species to keep. I'm planning on a month or two inbetween adding fish. Is this too slow or too fast?
In order I plan in adding them:
1. Bangaii Cardinal x 2
2. Jawfish
3. Clown Goby or Blenny
4. Clownfish x 2
5. Rabbitfish
6. Toby (Valentini or Blue spotted)
7. Wrasse
8. Tang
9. Trigger

I've heard the clown gobies sometimes strip the polyps off of corals where they plan on nesting. I've read mixed reviews on tobies and triggers. From what I gather its best to introduce them while they're small. I'm in the air about the wrasses, the six lines are sweet looking nd they way some nasties, leopard look sweet, flasher and fairy are also colorful. Is this overstocked for a 120? I'm planning on LPS dominated reef with some choice SPS and softies thrown in.