Rainbow Riccordia help.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I have had this little guy for a few months and no matter where I move him I can't get him to spread out and be happy. Do any of you have one like this, and have figured out his "happy zone"? My water perameters are awesome, and he is under a 6 bulb t5 set up.
View attachment 7490

I just placed a small guy (nickel sized) about 2/3 the way up on mine and I also run a 6 bulb t5. He's protected from the strong current by some LR and I've noticed him really open up.

Most people usually do keep them lower, I think my lights may not be as strong. Did you use a macro lens / close up on that? DSLR? That's a great shot. I can't seem to get this as well. Are you using a coral viewer? Shallow frag tank? Great shot!

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
He is about 18 inches below the light, little current in his location. Thinking about moving him into a shaded area, but all the web sites say high lighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always read that they do better lower in the tank, like Sazama said, but mine personally seems to do better up higher. I hope that's what the variable is and he opens up soon.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well with my 30 inch deep tank, he has been low and just above middle, the only two options left are much higher (up by my acros) or in the shade..... Guess I will pick one and try it for a few days :)

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I keep my rics close to the sand, have 3 of them and they are very happy. I have an area of the stack that kind of jogs out and creates a cove, they reside on the inside of this cove blocked from majority of the current, seem to do great there. Im also running MH, not sure if thats making a difference or not.