recomendations on where to go

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
So I'm totally new to diving and it has always intrigued me I was under the impression you need to be able to swim very well which I cant. Are there some dive shops that are a little more lax about the swimming portion?

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, it's not the same kind of swimming, but you want to know how to do it so you don't get in trouble out in the water. Look for groupons or livingsocial deals for diving lessons.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
swimming with fins isn't the same. You just keep your arms at your side and kick your legs and you move through the water. You'll do fine.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
recomendations on where to go

As long as you are comfortable in the water you'll be fine. You need to be able to swim but not like missie Franklin. I've had my kids snorkeling so century were 5. If in the Denver area go to a1 scuba. They are all great, they are the ones that take people to the Denver aquarium. Ask for tom Lemke for the best instructor! He's my dad. Lol

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got certified with PADI and to get your open water diver certification, you will need to be able to float or tread water for about 15 minutes plus swim the length of the pool a few times. You are allowed to wear your fins during the swim, but not the wetsuit (it is too buoyant).

rings343;253761 said:
So I'm totally new to diving and it has always intrigued me I was under the impression you need to be able to swim very well which I cant. Are there some dive shops that are a little more lax about the swimming portion?
I've been SCUBA diving for 48 years now and taught SCUBA diving for about 30 years and I still can't swim! LOL You can now do diving instruction on the internet (PADI), but you still have to do "pool sessions" and "open water check out dives" with a dive shop. They will give you a list of dive shops for you to choose from to do this. A-1 as mentioned also Underwater Phantasy off Union Street in Lakewood and Weaver's Dive and Travel in Boulder are all excellent dive shops!