Recommend a Controller

Hey everyone,
Would like some recommendations/feedback for a controller to monitor my 34G mixed reef. My main parameters I would like to monitor are Temp, Ph, Salinity and Nitrate. Not sure if either apex or reef keeper does nitrate, so it is not imperative. Many thanks.

Electronics are as follows: 2 Kessil A150 Lights (individual timers), Moonlight(timer), Single MP10, Reactor, Protein Skimmer, Heater, UV (timer, ran for a few hours a day), Tunze nano-ATO

I have apex and it's amazing. You can do a lot. None of the controller have nitrate probe. The only way you can monitor nitrate is with American marine pinpoint but it doesn't have the best reviews. I have been looking for nitrate and phosphate monitor for the last 2 months. Every one that I have found are lab monitor and they are over 1500$.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
And of course I run an Archon, they all have good and bad things about them

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just use a medusa for temp and a bunch of light timers. High tech for 1990.

You don't really need any of that except for temp. Other than that, it is just an expensive timer that can be fun to tinker with. Your tank will thank you if you don't monitor or jack with the PH.

ShawnM

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I suggest you research a new option.
Vertex has just released a controller called the "Cerebra Prima" it is now being sold by the big online marine stores like Bulk Reef Supply. Looks to be very promising and easier to program than Apex. Plus it has a early release price right now of $375.
If you are not opposed to be an early adopter I would recommend you watch the video regarding it on bulk reef. Also you stated you wanted to monitor salinity, it has an $80 salinity option that should release soon.
One down side for a 34 gallon tank is that this unit is fairly large.

I run two Apex controllers and also give them a very positive nod. However, I'm not a computer programmer and I have invested many hours over the years trying to get them to do what I wanted.