Red Bugs

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So Im not sure how long I have had these for (Im guessing from MACNA), but I noticed my least favorite acro bleach out about a month ago and die. Then I was looking at my blue voodoo and it was starting to bleach out too. What would you know there are little orange bugs crawling all over it and all of my other smooth skinned acros. If you have sucessfully eradicated these from your aquarium I would greatly appreciate any advice on what approaches worked and what didnt work.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I had them several years ago. I did the interceptor treatment that melv's reef recommends. Had to talk to my vet to get the pills. Worked like a charm. Killed all my hermit crabs. I got a couple wrasses and never looked back. No signs in at least 4 years.

C

CaliReefer

Dr.HarlemTutu;339353 said:
I had them several years ago. I did the interceptor treatment that melv's reef recommends. Had to talk to my vet to get the pills. Worked like a charm. Killed all my hermit crabs. I got a couple wrasses and never looked back. No signs in at least 4 years.
+1 Interceptor!

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Know any vets that can get ahold of it? I can check with my vet, but I was reading that they pulled it from the shelves in 2012 and its really hard to come by.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I think it's back... My vet just knew what the active ingredients were. He had other suggestions at the time. I showed him the article on melv's reef . He reluctantly prescribed for me. He also said if I killed everything it wasn't his fault. Lol

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
125 gallon, so I would need one 23mg tablet to do the 3 treatments.

greeneyedgirl

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a tablet that you could have the only thing is mine also contains prazi pro. It will kill both flat worms and red bugs

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had them quite a few years ago. Pulled all my sps and set up a 55 gallon tank where I dosed and waited for them to die off in my DT. Kept dragon face pipefish and didn't see sign of them again

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The active ingredient that kills red bugs is milbemycin oxime. The tried and true for the treatment is interceptor but as it was said above it was pulled in 2012. Some vets might have some old interceptor laying arround. But from my search for it out of 14 vets I went to see all but 1 turned me away. Dr. Arthur at VCA Animal Hospital in Fort Collins was willing to help me.

If you have to use one of the new medications that have lufenuron in it you will need to pull your cleaner crew. This will kill a majority of your cleaners.

If you use the one with praziquantel you should be fine to treat directly but I would remove decorative shrimp just to be sure.

Milbemax is the current medication with praziquantel in it.

And if you can stock up on it.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also do some research if Levamisole kills them. You can do that in tank if and I mean if you can't take all your acro's out. Levamisole will kill all your pods so you'll have to reseed. I've never had red bugs. Also, on RC there is a way you can treat flat worms in tank, Still new but I am certain when I was reading about AEFW's, I saw the same treatment dealt with red bugs too. Just read a lot before you plung. The interceptor works too as an out side dip. Remember all these PITA parisites lay eggs so it's not a one and done.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2464227

if Levamisole, this is where you can but it cheap. http://subquaria.com/Levamisole-HCl-Powder

Good luck

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Levamisole won't kill red bugs or pods with a typical dosage. MBE will. Sentinel has MBE in it as well. You can order either from Canada or Australia, or get a vet to sell them to you.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
BTW - don't jack around with this. Just find some MBE and use it. It is safe and effective. Do it a 3 times to make sure that none slipped through.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;339503 said:
BTW - don't jack around with this. Just find some MBE and use it. It is safe and effective. Do it a 3 times to make sure that none slipped through.

Spectrum has 23 mg of MBE it also contains prazi. Pure interceptor is no longer manufactured due to everything being broad spectrum now.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It is plenty safe. The prazi is a really low dose and doesn't affect any worms at all. I have some interceptor and sentinel both if somebody is in a hurry and needs some ASAP - I would like it replaced since it can be like gold, so if you cannot wait a few weeks to get it overseas, send me a PM.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
If someone orders it, let me know and I'll order some too, just to have it on hand. I used the Bayer method for AEFW. Worked great, just took a long time to tear every acro out and dip... LEARNED MY LESSON WELL ABOUT QT TANK FOR SURE....