Red Bugs

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
DyM;339530 said:
If someone orders it, let me know and I'll order some too, just to have it on hand. I used the Bayer method for AEFW. Worked great, just took a long time to tear every acro out and dip... LEARNED MY LESSON WELL ABOUT QT TANK FOR SURE....
+1

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm going to dose my tank for them this week. Using interceptor spectrum.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
clowninaround7474;339542 said:
I'm going to dose my tank for them this week. Using interceptor spectrum.
Probably a good call. I didnt notice any signs of them in my tank until recently and the last addition was from MACNA (aquatic art, gonzos, and jason fox). The last addition before macna was the frag swap, so im pretty sure they came from one of those three vendors and my dip killed the live ones but left some eggs.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Red Bugs

zombie;339546 said:
Probably a good call. I didnt notice any signs of them in my tank until recently and the last addition was from MACNA (aquatic art, gonzos, and jason fox). The last addition before macna was the frag swap, so im pretty sure they came from one of those three vendors and my dip killed the live ones but left some eggs.

From what I've read they carry live babies and not eggs so who knows. I've literally dipped every single piece that has been introduced in my tank for longer and more powerful of a dose than recommended... Yet I still get pests. It's all part of the game if you ask me. If it's not pests, it's algae, if it's not algae, it's parameters or equipment issues. Always something keeping us on our toes!

I don't blame any of our vendors as I know they take precaution to prevent this from happening... It just happens They are good people and would hate to pass a pest along. Again, just part of the hobby if you ask me.

Last edited by a moderator:

jgonzz

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
zombie;339546 said:

I know for a fact they did not come from me.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
jgonzz;339564 said:
I know for a fact they did not come from me.
I would assume the same. Ive never seen a single pest from your stock ever, and ive bought from you numerous times.

I too have an outbreak of redbugs going on right now. This is my first bout with these little guys and am a little discouraged by it. Kind of rethinking this hobby.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Red Bugs

I just did my first interceptor treatment today. I tried to remove as many inverts as I could but couldn't get them all.

My fire shrimp is struggling but I think he will pull through. I had 2 acro colonies that had acro crabs in there. They held on for a few hours but when they started to fade, my Melanarus wrasse helped himself to an afternoon snack. Peppermint shrimp seems totally unaffected.

I can't find a red bug on any acro at this point so it seems like it worked.

I was pretty freaked out when I first put the medication into the tank but looking back the whole process is pretty simple. I'm planning on reseeding the tank with pods and phyto.

Figured I'd share my experience... I don't know why I avoided doing this. Really easy and effective.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You should not be losing coral. Even in the worst cases, the red bugs just make them look bad unless they are already under stress and the red bugs are the final straw.

You can get sentinel at a vet - if you have a dog, then this is easy. You can also order it or Interceptor Spectrum online from another country.

So the corals being angry and getting little to no PE will not kill them?

I guess I'll order the spectrum online.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Otherwise healthy SPS won't die from red bugs. They don't thrive, but they also don't die. Red bugs might finish off already struggling SPS, though.

This is one of the easiest treatments out there for pests, so if you hate this one, then get your dipping and QT figured out because AEFW, MEN, acro spiders and the like are WAY worse.

Ok. Everything is thriving I just noticed that the redbugs have made the acros that are infested look bad. When I see poor PE, I consider it detrimental to the coral's life. I dip but I have read that redbugs can survive dips. I have a feeling that these guys rode in on an ORA Red Planet from MACNA.