Red Mangroves

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mangroves are trees, that grow very slowly. They feed off of the nutrients (poop, uneaten food, dying snails) in your tank. They work really well, but regular maintainance is required. They also eat up your Mg once established. They take awhile to begin working though. The red variety is the best suited for the aquarium trade. There is also black and white, but they're not as well suited for our aquariums. This is the cliff notes from the wet web media link in the first page.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I have several young mangroves and have not noticed my Mg decreasing I also bought 2 black mangrove seeds from reef cleaners and my red mangroves as well from there. The black seeds although slow sprouted and now are opening up and getting a pretty descent bud coming out of them. My red mangroves also did not have the leaves or roots on them and also slow to grow have really began to do very well and are getting some leaves and rather large roots. I just planted them in sand last week and am trying that out (wickeds looked so awesome I had to try putting in the sand.) But I originally just floated and they did well. I am excited to see the black mangroves continue to grow as well.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
From WWM:
Red Mangrove (Rhizophora mangle) can live as submerse, emersed or fully terrestrial (if well-hydrated) tolerates fresh, brackish or full seawater but cannot be freely moved between gradients favors fine sand or muddy substrates but can be grown in course substrates or none at all (hydroponics) is the most temperature sensitive of three genera listed here-requires warmer temperatures (ideally over 60F) is the most sensitive to pruning. Immature or improper cuts can harm or kill some trees
Black Mangrove (Avicenia germinans) can live as emersed of fully terrestrial tolerates salted air and some salted water, but favors fresh environments prefers substrates with a decidedly significant soil or muddy component, and tolerates sand is reasonably tolerant of pruning and tolerates mild frost conditions
White Mangrove (Laguncularia racemosa) lives as a fully terrestrial plant naturally tolerates salted air (coastal) but suffers excess salted water is very tolerant of pruning is moderately to very tolerant of occasional frost conditions

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk