Reef/frag plugs - what are you using?

I need to either order some or get them locally, but not looking to spend a fortune. Elite is out of stock of whatever they carry. I don't want to have to cure them before use if possible, so what are people using (acrylic, aragacrete, etc)? And, if you can tell me, where are you getting them?

The best thing I have found, I think, is Boston AquaFarms Reef plugs, but haven't ordered yet - I thought I would get some opinions on price, ease of use, etc. I'm not interested in using rock rubble because I will be sticking these in acrylic frag rack holes. And I don't like the idea of making my own cement ones due to the posts that abound on them affecting PH and leaching stuff.

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
i like what ever josh uses....but i think ima make some. as i could not find anything within a price i would want to pay for plugs to give away with corals

I was thinking of buying acrylic rods and cutting them down with something into 1 inch discs and then some 1/2 inch rod for the leg. That would seem like it would make a ton, but not sure how easy it would be to cut without burning the plastic.

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
im sure you could get a clen cut with the right table saw blade. I would worry about the cost of the rod

Cherub - You would think so, but I went to 2 just this weekend that were out. One store had plugs but they were this weird black plastic that looked like it would float away. Not sure what that was

Awesome - thank you!

Just my luck - that is the one that is near me that I DIDN'T go to this weekend, lol. I do like the look of acrylic too. Maybe I will try both - using the acrylic until the ocean wonders ones get to me. Thanks!

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
ok stupid quote button isn't working... I use those from BRS too that STeveT posted. Yeah stay away from floating plugs lol

Who needs a frag rack? I'll just buy floating plugs, lol.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I make my own, wait for them to cure is a pain in the arse, but worth it if you make a ton at once.

If you can find a place that will fire ceramic then you would be set as I don't think it needs to cure.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just use argonite sand, portland cement and I toss in some CC sometimes.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is a site I just found with some good infor. Looking for the one that I learned on but can'y find it at the moment. I have it saved on my computer at home so I will send you that link as well.

Least this one is almost the same.

http://www.coszam.net/plugs.htm