Reefing Pet Peeves

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What are some of yours?

Top: Back of a tank is not painted and you see the cords and salt creep and cannot even focus on what is in the tank.

Honorable mention: "Mother" colony pictures with 4 polyps or a branch.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
People who expect tanks to look mature in 4 months.

Nasty tank stands in living rooms. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Biggest is when people make bad IDs on forums or Facebook, if you don't know don't guess, makes it much harder for me and others to fix the mistake.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
#1. When I see a store stocking animals that 99.99% of aquarists cannot keep alive for 6 or more months (most NPS corals, basket stars, etc). And when they bring in wild caught animals that are completely unsustainable while alternatives exist (i.e. Banggai Cardinals).

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dead fish in LFS tanks, doesn't make it look appealing to buy fish from that section/tank.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dead fish in LFS tanks, doesn't make it look appealing to buy fish from that section/tank.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
crisc;n663230 said:
Love these! How about salt creep on lights/covers/reflectors!

Oh, and my list from a LFS owner perspective is even longer than this!
I can only imagine what you see and hear as an LFS owner or employee! Not trying to open a can of worms here though... I am curious if you have ever had to refuse sale of livestock based on information from customer.

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
neil82;n663282 said:
I am curious if you have ever had to refuse sale of livestock based on information from customer.
I did it all the time when I managed one. You could tell who the idiots were and that the fish didn't have a chance. I remember one guy who was convinced that his 10 gallon was plenty large for two peacock bass and a red tail cat with no plans for a larger tank. Then there was the movie producer who wanted to keep a 5 inch harlequin tusk in a fish bowl as a movie prop. The amount of stories could fill a few pages and that is just what I remember from 25 years ago.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hobbyists, but especially vendors, that post stuff on message boards without prices. This just tells me that the prices vary by the individual and I am mostly not down with this.

PS - glad nobody has been by my house in a while... been busy and I have about 6 months of dust on my tank sides and stand. Only the front is clean.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
One more and then I am done... maybe...

How the instruction manual to an Apex, Media Reactor and LED Panel has replaced the nitrogen cycle, basic chemistry and real lighting applications as an introduction to this hobby.